Author Topic: 2 NA Minis in Ft. Lauderdale to Key West  (Read 6992 times)

Offline BillL

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
Re: 2 NA Minis in Ft. Lauderdale to Key West
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 21:20:44 PM »
Jesse and Andy finished 4th and 5th in class respectively.  Well done guys!

Offline Jake

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 21:16:39 PM »
My wife sailed with Andy on Pheonix 670 for this race. Her name is Bry LaRue. Be watching for her in the near future as we are gearing up to build her boat with design assistance from Jesse, Andy, and Ryan Finn. I have posted in the past on the MiniCP thread, but I found the design not entirely to my liking for a competitive proto. Plans are in the works and construction should begin in March. Premier Racing is anxious to encourage mini class racing in the US. We just need more boats out there. To all you mini sailors, FYI, Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston is also accepting minis for the race now, and there will be more. Since we still don't have a competitive US built mini, I guess we intend to be the first.
The ride was wild to Key West for the little boats. I was on a Sydney 36 and got rocked, so I know they had an adventure. Also, be on the look out on SA. Clean interviewed Jesse, Ryan, and Bry on Saturday and should be posting the video soon.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 23:36:08 PM »
Great news Jake. 
I guess the July West coast race is out of the question for Bry this year - hope you can be ready for the 2009 B 1-2. 
How long do you think it will take to have your boat in the water?

Adrian

Offline phoenix

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 00:07:34 AM »

Offline Jake

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:11:33 AM »
The guys at PhotoBoat got some great pics of Phoenix and Reality...

http://www.photoboatgallery.com/lightbox/index.php?module=media&category=gallery%2FFt+Lauderdale+to+Key+West

Man, the guys at PhotoBoat had a hard on for the minis. They took something like 100 pix between the 2 boats.

Great news Jake. 
I guess the July West coast race is out of the question for Bry this year - hope you can be ready for the 2009 B 1-2. 
How long do you think it will take to have your boat in the water?

Adrian

If we can get the hull lofted between March and April, We should be looking at a July or August sea trial in 2009. I might be dreaming, but I think it is doable, if we stick to a build schedule. I have it worked out to 16 months build, with two more months for rigging and sails. Somewhere around 3250 hours of labor for a 4 person crew.

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 21:30:51 PM »
Uhhh.....Jake?  Yeah, you might want to research your US mini information.....

As far as "we still don't have a competitive US built mini, I guess we intend to be the first" goes, let us not forget:

Wafi, USA-577, and Solidaires, FRA-629  These sisterships were designed by Pierre Rolland and built right here in Newport, RI, USA by Katie Ambach and Drew Wood.  I know that Louis (owner of Solidaires) has done pretty well for himself in Europe and WAFI is a WEAPON!  I had the chance to sail WAFI last summer and once Drew gets some new sails (hint, hint) that boat will be a force to be reckoned with in ANY fleet of minis (in fact, Ken Read, my boss, told me that I should move the older proto that I raced in the Bermuda 1-2 AWAY from Drew's boat so as not to give him an unfair psychological advantage).

Also, and most obvious, is Clay Burkhalter's Acadia, USA-575 which was designed by Rodney Johnstone (the "J" in J/Boats) and built in Maine.  Clay, as we know, was 12th in the last Transat 650, so I'd say that's pretty "competitive" wouldn't you?

Also, there's a couple of new serie builds that are going to be taking place here in the US of A, most notably one by a team in Texas who has already been mentioned here.

Sorry for the rant....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 21:43:25 PM by jsharkey »

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 21:42:13 PM »
Forgot to add this.....

Offline Jake

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 19:30:05 PM »
I stand corrected. I am aware that there have been several protos built in the States, some more competitive than others. I was, until recently, unaware of the NA mini builds in Texas with intent toward series. My comment was more directed toward the M65, which, for all the publicity and hype, has yet to generate a working boat. I had an interest in that boat, and great respect for Owen Clarke design team. I expected to see something floating from the M65 camp already.
As far as US built series boats, non-existant at this time. Until someone builds and sells 10 of them at the same facility, we still don't have one, so I'm not entirely incorrect in my comment. We just won't be one of the first.

Offline Jake

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 22:28:30 PM »
Here is a link to a video interview with Jesse, Ryan, and Bry on Jesse's boat. There is a part two to this interview due to be posted tonight or tomorrow.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5285917036269031834&hl=en

Pretty cool stuff. This class needs more positive attention to grow in NA. We need to get more young blood on the water and market this type of sailing as an extreme sport.

Offline Adrian

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 23:28:30 PM »
Hi Jake,

Thanks for this post - a really nice SA interview of Jesse, Ryan & Bry.
I agree with you about the need to market the class & get young sailors involved. 

From a Series guy's perspective, there are a couple of points that maybe need to be included in future conversations to achieve this goal:

-  the number of Series boats are increasing faster than the number of protos.  In the last 18 months 8 series boats have been added to the fleet & will be sailing in 2008 - 2 to the E coast (TipTops), 5 to the W & 1 to the Lakes (Zeros).

- there are 3 Series skippers currently aiming for MT 2009 entries, Andy, Craig and Nathan, all three have campaign websites.

- the 2009 B 1-2 just might have more series entries than protos

- you can put a new series boat in the water with sails for under $45k and that compares really well with building your own boat if you value your time at more than $10.00 per hr, so maybe young sailors have an option to get involved with the series class too.

- you do not have to race a proto to be a Mini sailor, a little less extreme boat, the Series class, can also be a good place to start Mini racing

Thanks to Ryan, Jesse & Bry for working with SA, who have always supported the Ministas.  The more coverage we can get for the class the faster the fleet will grow,

Adrian

Offline Adrian

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 00:01:45 AM »
Hi All,

Andy has a Key West race video with Bry on his website.  They even had time for some fishing - pretty skinny catch though.

Visit his website,  www.abel650.com    see his Zero go ...

Adrian

Offline Jake

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 15:31:53 PM »
I'm in agreemen with you Adrian. I think the growth of series boats really is the future of NA mini racing, at least for the time being. Once the class has grown a bit, you may see more interest in proto developement. For me, personally, the appeal is in building a boat for my wife to race. For most new-comers, I think series is the more practical way to go.

As far as more coverage for the class, here is the link to part 2 of the interview.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6559800040640184726