Author Topic: accessibility of the raft  (Read 13377 times)

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
Re: accessibility of the raft
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
How heavy is it ? Price ?

Offline james

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 15:18:51 PM »
Hi,

Its all gone mad.. How are you supposed to get out with that there..

And the 10 second rule no chance. I agree there will be people like me that find it hard to get through as I have broad shoulders. Look forward to see how it all happens.

Also I will not be happy about putting my valise in the drink when they are not supposed to get wet unless it has to be used in an emergency.

Cheers

Offline HUGO RAMON

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 15:55:30 PM »
Yes but that doesn't answers de question ¿What is going to "rail" the liferaft when the boat is capsized? This new invent is open on the top so I think it's not ok with the rules.

If Classe Mini says ok to that, the system with the bloks is much better in my opinion! So It should be accepted to...

But that's a mess they put's us shitty rules and after they will allow any shitty system because noone would be able to build one of those things they try to explain on the guide...

Hugo a little bit angry...

Offline andreas

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 20:41:38 PM »
I did'nt really want to comment anymore,...

but....

.........I was a bit angry 2, because its a building in the back and not just a light launcher device that is made of blocks and strings and battens or simular.
When I crawl thru my boat its narrow allready and doesnt need more in the back. If the rules tell us to have the raft outside within a certain time,...OK. Thats something
you can aim on. It can be made with ropes that pull that thing to the door. Shoul be possible by using a small foam ramp or simular device it can slide a bit
more easy back and up. When capsized there is a 45° ramp and just a little bit of space at the door to get over with the load...

But as James said,  I will see what happens and try to enjoy the sailing. The resolution will come.

Offline andreas

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 20:42:12 PM »
How heavy is it ? Price ?

340,- Euros TTC (Structures)

Offline KeithW

• My minitransat campaign
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 23:15:41 PM »
Is any body getting any further with this. To my interpretation the following statement clearly rules out the structures effort.

"It must be guided from up, down and both sides so that there is no asperity during the extraction. "

So whats everybody doing???

Keith

Offline andreas

Re: or of the raft
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 22:49:16 PM »
wait and see... I am trying to invent a lighter, cheaper, easier construction... question : does the raft has to be 15cm from the door or just a rope

Offline KeithW

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 23:00:07 PM »
I will definitely wait cos I don't think the structures effort complies with the top and sides requirement. The only thoughts I had at the moment was to fill in the whole back of the tunnel under the cockpit except the hatch itself with a big polestyrene block and stick the life raft in the hole in the middle so it lines up exactly with the hatch itself, with a strap stitched to liferaft valise so you can just open the hatch from outside and pull on the handle to pull the liferaft straight out. The hole will be the same size as the hatch so it shouldn't make it any harder to get out from inside.

On the face of it unless somebody comes up with a better off the shelf device then thats what I am going to have a go at.

Keith

Offline andreas

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 23:09:24 PM »
Hello Keith,
excactly my idea !! The styro block would weigh almost nothing... but how do you get it inside the boat ? 2 half blocks and put them together inside ?
2.nd idea : take a plastik waste bin ( diameter of the raft, 5-10,- Euros ) and cut of the ends and tie it close to the exit, put the thing in and
add grease (joke) but this could work also. ( to get the angle you could cut one side in an angle to make the raft slide into the righr direction..)

Offline KeithW

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 00:39:37 AM »
To get the polystyrene in I think you would get a load of flat sheets a couple of inches thick and build them up to the height of the base of the hatch then do the same down from the deck to the top of the hatch then do the sides so they support the top, probably tape or glue some spinnaker material round them so they are slippery.

Might even investigate a way of clipping the raft to the inside of the hatch so that the act of opening the hatch starts to extract the raft although I haven't really thought about whether thats sensible or not yet.

Keith

Offline Tingle

• My Site
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 01:56:14 AM »
On the subject of polystyrene.....I have some ginormous blocks of it (2m*1m*0.5m) in Cowes, free to anyone who can collect it.  It is fairly easy to cut with a hot knife.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »
Hi All,

A possible solution to the hatch & life-raft extraction  .....

1)  Replace the rectangular hatch with a large diameter round one.

2)  Install a light-weight acrylic/plastic/carbon tube the same dimension as the hatch & permanently attach it to the hull, cockpit floor & the transom where the hatch is installed.

3)  Because the interior surface of the tube is smooth, regardless of the angle/position of the boat, it would make no difference to the ease by which the life-raft valise would be extracted - it simply slides along the tube & out through the open hatch.

4)  Similarly, it would make no difference to the ability of the skipper & crew to exit the boat through the tube & hatch whether the boat was completely inverted or at any other angle.

If no hatches of an appropriate size are available, a carbon hatch of a standard size for both series & protos could be made.  The cost could be very modest & every Mini would use exactly the same system.

What do people think?

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
Polystyrene is not strong enough I would think.
Better get blueboard foam or real boatbuilding foam. Put one layer of 300 gr glass on it both sides, fillet it together, and strong as hell.

What  I would do:
Make the shape out of hard foam, coat it totally with polyester filler (or else the epoxy can eat up the foam). Layup some carbon (2x 300 I would guess) and epoxy on it. Let it harden and remove foam.

Add a flange to it from carbon, 3 layers 300gr, drill holes in it which correspond with the holes in your hatch. Install and be happy.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 20:13:35 PM »
Well my proposed solution did not get any support.  So now I'm curious, what is wrong with my suggestion?  Why might it not work?

Offline KeithW

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 23:51:28 PM »
For my part at least I am not keen on carving the back of the boat up changing hatches etc till there is more definite news on what goes. I have heard for example that with the structures effort once fitted it is no longer possible to get out of the escape hatch from inside the boat!!!!

I think personnally I am still looking at the foam/polystyrene idea, James I will be in Cows next weekend with the boat if you still have those polystyrene blocks???

Keith