Author Topic: Calling NA Minists  (Read 5628 times)

Offline NathanBaron

Calling NA Minists
« on: December 21, 2006, 16:24:00 PM »
Hi, I just following up on http://www.minitransat650.com/simple/index.php?topic=122.0 about qualifications.

I'm a canadian that is hoping to launch my campaign for 2009 in January and I was hoping to get some help and clarification on the steps involved for NA competitors who want to qualify.  There was some discussion over at SA a while ago that degenerated into a yelling match.

So I will definetly apply for a DCQ spot, but with the large interest in Minis in NA right now I'm sure that by 2009 there will be a lot of people applying for those spots.

In 09 I will spending the summer in Europe to do my qualifications and practice with the fleet.  My original intention was to have a back up in case I don't get a DCQ spot and qualify through the regular way.  But I simply can't afford to spend two summers in Europe. 

So what is going to happen when there are like 15 non-europeans applying for 6 spots?  At the time of registration at the Paris boat show I will have 0 miles on the boat according to the class.  I will have a pile of miles built up over the summer of 09, but I'm not sure how the waiting list for the DCQ spots works.

Also, now that the US class association is charging forward, is it likely that we will have class sanctioned events on this side of the pond?  It would great to be able to build up miles in NA with the class here.

Anyway, I'm sure that I am missing something and am hoping that someone can sort me out.

Offline usa577

• http://www.usa650.com
Re: Calling NA Minists
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 16:52:34 PM »
Hi there!

Good to hear you are going forward.

I don't think that there are going to be any qualification races on this side of the pond for some time, so don't hold your breath for that one. At the earliest I see us having something going in another year or two. That is not to say that we won't have races, just not races that count!

Based on the number of miles all those guys on the entry list have you have to be independently wealthy and take two years off, or get the DCQ I think. The only good thing is that the number of real serious guys that are going to do the 07 race will likely be finished after that, and I think the field will open up a little bit again.

My plan was to do 07, but the boat just went in the water a couple weeks ago, so that's out! Now we will shoot for 09. I expect that there will be probably 4-6 folks from NA that are going to be in the running for those slots as it is out of most of our budgets to live in Europe!

Do you have the boat, or is it on order?

Drew

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 16:59:52 PM »
I think its reasonable to expect up to two DCQ slots to go for North American sailors.

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 17:52:33 PM »
Heh Drew,

Thanks for the reply.  No boat yet, but I've been talking to Adrian at NAMT about a zero.  I've been talking to a pile of people about all this and trying to get things lined up so that I can get to work on raising the money.  I don't want to start name dropping, but Derek Hatfield has agreed to coach and Paul Davis of North Sails has agreed to help with the campaign and sail development.  My budget is are 250-280K.  Guess my point is that I would be willing to put alot into this. 

BUT, I simply can't afford two summers in Europe. 

I have to say this is really frustrating.  I feel as though we are at the mercy of a selection committee.  I would be way more happy to compete for a spot as I can plan around that, but putting all the time and effort into a campaign like only to have a committee decide that another campaign may be more "serious" than mine is a little too much risk for me.

I don't want to sound flippant about all this, as I know how much you have invested in your program.  (I've been following you and Katie as you have gone throught the build process.  I've also read many of your comments on SA.)  So, I know how much blood sweat and tears go into these campaigns, and I'm willing to do that.  But I really don't like being at the mercy of a committee.

Given Leo's comment about 2 NA spots, I am totally second guessing myself on this.

Thanks again for your reply. 

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 20:22:05 PM »
For 250.000 campaign, have one in Can, and one in Eu. Only do the big races, (qualification race, ยท 3continets and Acores) and youre in...Storage is cheap in France, some farmhouse inland that is.

Offline usa577

• http://www.usa650.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 21:52:51 PM »
Glad to hear that you are committed. That's what it takes. Another bit of advice when you start raising money, etc. We approached a friend when we were getting ready to build for some advice - JP Mouligne. He told us to not expect anything from anyone, and when we started we should expect to pay for the cost of the build and materials, etc. out of our own pockets. That way we would at least end up with our boat! Had we tried to raise money to do this I am afraid we would still be doing that and have nothing.

So my advice is the same as his - pay for your boat, and go from there. You really don't want to announce a campaign and try to raise money, and then fail. That is a bad deal for everyone! Once the boat is in your hands and you have something material there people also take you a lot more seriously! Even if you start with a 'kit' boat, and then start approaching potential sponsors for the things you need...

Best of luck,

Drew

Offline phoenix

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 22:11:11 PM »
Hey Nathan, seriously I second Leo's idea. If you can raise that much cash, you could even think about flying over to France a few times to get the miles in races. With that budget, you could fly over, stay a couple weeks at a time and fly home for each race. As far as being able to "afford" living in Europe, I think the hardest part is from a lifestyle standpoint, meaing job, family, etc., rather than the money. The actual monetary cost can be kept to a minimum going college style. I've been able to live in France for a lot less than what I live on in Florida, but just not too comfortably. I rented out my house, threw everything in storage and headed out. As far as affording it, well... it meant quiting my job and living off of savings and debt when the savings ran out. I've only managed to raise $1,500 dollars in actual cash for my campaign, but if you can get $350K, not working for a while wouldn't be so bad. I think the bottom line is that it isn't easy to qualify (for anyone) and if you really want to do the Transat you have to be prepared to make sacrifices. It's not glamorous, but from my experience so far, just about any sacrifice would be worth it. The mini scene is awsome and I don't think you will experience anyting like it anywhere else. My advice is don't be discouraged by the challenge of qualifying, just find a way to make it happen. But you're right that the DCQ process is mostly beyond your control. It doesn't mean you won't get in that way, but there's no way to assure you will.

Good luck with your project and don't give up.

Andy

Offline andreas

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 23:09:55 PM »
Hello to the folks on the other continent !

I guess everyone seems a bit worried about the developments... even Europeans have problems to leave job & family and qualify with some shureness in 2009.

May I ask why the rules are so strikt ? The CM could react and allow more participants. If there is so many well budgeted people arround why not helping the organisation to grow ? Instead of kicking poor guys asses who cant afford the big money the organisation could allow 150 boats 2009 and 175 boats 2011. Take it from the rich ! Otherwise we will soon look at the same development as almost everywhere now. Proffesionals take over and we can wait for some TV broadcasting and transform into couch-potatos  (-:

2nd alternative : find a second race-organisator for an equal event. ( the MINI-Heineken-Southampton-Rio Race sounds nice...) The Les Ables Azores Race is a very attractice event for its selve allready....

Offline Tingle

• My Site
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 23:55:01 PM »
The French authorities limit it to 75 for safety reasons, it is not CM deciding that.

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 04:27:17 AM »
Thank you all for your replies!  One of the reason's I want to get into this class is for the cool people that are willing to make personal sacrifice for their sailing.

As for me, I am married, have a government job and a house.  I'm able to "buy" my time off, so I can get my regular paycheck while off sailing, but it means that I need to sacrifice my current standard of living to do this.  (Which I have no problem with at all.)  My wife is a career women, and for some reason is supportive of these crazy mini dreams.  (We met sailing 40 footers on the great lakes.)  So although I can get some time off work and home, I still have to pay for it.  ;)

Drew: I think you were given good advice, but I am respectfully going to ignore it. 

I am going to bang on every door of every friend who I have ever sailed with, call every contact I have in companies that may be interested in this type of project, and sell the benefits of this type of project to people I have never met.  Call me an idealist, but I think I can give these people value for their money.  Not all of us are in a position to take on an adventure like this, but I happen to find myself in that place.  And although I don't have the money right now, I think that I can find it and I think I can give those people the adventure that they are not in the position take on themselves.

I understand that the Cm have to make restrictions.  This is a dangerous game and the practicalities of ocean rescue must be considered.  I'm not dissing the Cm for the way that they have been forced to do this.  All I'm saying is that I would like to compete for my spot.  And I will.  Once I get my boat, I'll have to sail more, and have better results than my fellow NA colleagues to get a spot.  The only thing I object to is the that it is more than a little subjective when it comes right down to it.

Thanks for your comments so far guys.  I'm sure that I will have more questions as I get further into my campaign.  I hope you don't mind the idealist newbie grilling you for information.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 14:06:37 PM »
You say: I hope you don't mind the idealist newbie grilling you for information.

I reply ;) you will do that till your finished the MT, its part of the min spirit on the docks, lots of sharing so everyone gets faster.

Offline Reddy

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 05:15:00 AM »
I am curious about The Minis's In NA. Are there many in the North east?  Also what would be a realistic budget to put one on the water and Race comfortably.
Thanks for any information.

Randy

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 03:38:24 AM »
Hi Nathan & others,

A number of us on the west coast will be working together in the next few months to establish a Classe Mini approved SH qualifying course & monitoring system.

In addition, we will seek approval for a 2008 West coast Mini race where miles will count for the 2009 MT.  The best way to attract East coast Minis to the West may be a race where miles count for the MT.

Classe Mini may not support our request - however, I don't see why they wouldn't if we are prepared to accept their existing race management requirements & rules.  Hopefully the 2009 B 1-2, will also be a CM recognised event on the East coast.

NA Ministas need to make some New Year resolutions, and keep them, to develop the races that will guarantee the number of Minis continues to grow.  Another good resolution (with apologies to Sam & Drew in particular) may be, "I will not build my own boat, I will buy one from Adrian".

Happy New Year everyone.

Adrian

Adrian

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 14:30:41 PM »
Heh Adrian et al,

Been away on vacation and missed your reponse.

It would be great to see a qualifier on this side of the pond, but as Drew suggested earlier, I'm not holding my breath. 

I assume that the US class association has been pushing to make it a little easier for Americans to qualify, and beyond the acceptance of the B 1-2 (and these miles don't even count for the racing component), I don't see much progress on getting sanctioned events over here... yet.  Hopefully things will change as the growth of the class developes.

That said, I would applaud any effort to get the mini's together over here.  I'll be looking for as much experience as I can get and would make an effort to get to any events going over here, both east and west coasts.

how many boats are there on the west coast anyway?  Is this http://www.minisinamerica.com/minis_us/mini_where.htm up to date?

As for resolutions, the goals for the next three years are mounting so quickly I don't know what to do with them.  Fundraising starts this month, so that will keep me busy for a while.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 19:22:43 PM »
Hi Nathan et. al.,

Jeff's listing is not quite up to date for the west coast.  One new Zero is at Highliner Trailers in Delta BC having its cradle custom fitted to a trailer.  That boat is headed to San Francisco to join #72 shortly.  A Dix Mini is nearing completion in Langley BC.  Discussions are underway that I hope will lead to another Zero sale in the next few weeks.

On the East coast two Zeros will arrive in Newport in March.  That will bring the number of US Zeros sold to seven, unfortunately Andy Abel's first boat was lost so the number of US Zeros sailing in 2007 will be six.

In addition I plan to have two Super Calin 2's shipped in the next couple of months.

Jeff's site shows 3 US Minis committed & a deposit in place for #4. 

All of those boats listed above will add 9 Series boats & 1 proto (Dix Mini) in the next six months.

The first Super Calin 2's at $35k ought to sell fairly quickly.  With the main, jib & spi you can be sailing a SC2 for under $40K and building experience & miles for 2009, by then the SC2 ought to have met the Classe Mini requirements for 10 built in order to be an official Series boat.

Best wishes for your fundraising Nathan, your success will be a big contribution to building Mini visibility in North America.

Adrian