Author Topic: Bermuda Ocean Race  (Read 3457 times)

Offline kendall

Bermuda Ocean Race
« on: June 15, 2008, 20:35:48 PM »
for those that are interested, the BOR started on friday and has Nathan Baron racing his zero #680. it's only one mini but one is better than none. It is the second race of the year with minis and the third is about to start next month. Definately a step in the right direction for North America.

go Nathon

here is the link to the tracker
http://charthorizon.com/races/2008_annapolis_bermuda/htdocs/

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
Re: Bermuda Ocean Race
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 21:27:00 PM »
How many crew ? Double ?

Offline phoenix

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 23:13:07 PM »
Yep, double handed for mini(s) and also a double-handed PHRF class. Most boats have a normal crew, though.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:56:59 AM »
Hi Kemdall,
Thanks for this post, I have been following Nathan.  He is 80 miles from the finish & 18th overall.  It looks as though he has had a great race - good news for the Zero Ministas too!

Adrian

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 17:15:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

We've almost recovered from the race.  Bermuda is a great place to recover....

Thanks for posting on this Kendall.  You are a superstar!  We would have been screwed without your support in Annapolis.

We had an ok race.  The Chesapeake river was a bit brutal, upwind in 20-25 knots for 36 hours, before we got out into the ocean and could finally ease the sheets. 

Outside, we had a mixed bag of weather over the next 5 days.  WE did get about 12 hours of perfect spi work.  For the zero owners out there, our GPS recorded 22.6 knots speed over ground at one point.  We just got a new code 5 and it got a lot of use out there.

Scariest point of the race was getting run over by a couple of thunderstorms that totally enveloped us, and we were surrounded by lightning and 35 knot winds that were rotating around 360 degrees for a solid hour and a half. 

I'm trying to get photos and video up now.  I'll try and post some links latter.

Cheers!

n

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 19:25:33 PM »
upwind in 20-25 knots for 36 hours
Ah, thats sounds like a lot of fun for the start of a race... not.

Any funny stories of how the bigger boats talked about you ?

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 19:34:52 PM »
Both Greg and I have raced in one design fleets all our lives and we are both incapable of not trying to win the start. 

We were on the line with boat up to 65 feet, yes, totally stupid fleet splits, and we ended up at the boat end with a 40' j boat below us.  We won the start by a boat length, and then proceded to get rolled by everyone on the line.  The boat below us was coming up hard on the breeze and their bowman was threatening to knock off our solar panels if we didn't go up... 

We didn't push the issue, and got the hell out of the way as fast as we could.  At very least we can say we won the start!

Offline phoenix

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 21:18:03 PM »
Hey congratulation Nathan! I was checking the iBoat site several times a day... nice race and nice average boat speeds.

Look forward to chatting once your back.

Good luck, Andy.

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 22:55:52 PM »
Thanks for posting on this Kendall.  You are a superstar!  We would have been screwed without your support in Annapolis.

Thread hijack:

Yep Kendall is the best about working on OPB's. Can't seem to get around to his though. Maybe I should offer to buy his boat for $5.00 and ask him to work on it for me..... When he is through, he can buy it back from me for $5.00 plus expenses.... ;-)

Thread hijack over:

Way to go Nathan. Nothing like a quick shower and a Dark and Stormy in Bermuda to tuck you in on the first night there. Enjoy Bermuda and see you next year at the B 1-2.

Sam
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com