Author Topic: NKE Hydraulics Help  (Read 1799 times)

Offline NathanBaron

NKE Hydraulics Help
« on: August 30, 2008, 14:12:00 PM »
Hi All,

A little while ago I had problems with the pump on my nke pilot and I had to take the whole pump and motor assembly out of the boat to go to the shop.  Now I have that problem fixed and I am in the process of reinstalling the pump. 

I have all the hoses and electrical put back together, and I am now trying to get all of the air out of the lines and pump.  I have gone through and bled the lines and am getting a good spray from each one.  However I can't seem to get the actual pump to fill with oil, so when I go to do the pilot init. I get a nasty noise and alarm saying that I must have a blockage or air in the lines. 

Any advice on how to get all of the air out of the system?  The manual kind of sucks when dealing with hydraulics.

Thanks in advance.

n

Offline Kristian

Re: NKE Hydraulics Help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:17:42 AM »
it is a nasty job, but someone(=you) has to do it. I did this several times, everytime it is the same hassle, but at least the level of mess decreased every time... so, here we go:
1. you do not need to take the pump out of the boat, just leave it connected as it is
2. if too awkward, remove the ram and put it on the floor, somewhere when you can access it. At this stage it is useful to put some plastic cover on the working area. Keep a paper towels ready.
3. use two PVC tubes internal diam 6-8 mm of good length (your choice) and attach it to the bleeding walves with clamps (tha same you use for securing hoses to water ballast & co.) Feed the tubes into the clean bottle, so you can reuse the oil latter.try to secure it properly or else you might spill the whole damn thing inside.
4. push the ram completely inside and open the inner bleeding walve.
5. disconnect the angle sensor, engage the pilot (pressing auto, pilot is in the rudder mode) and move the rudder sensor acordingly; this way the pilot witll think "oh, i have to move the ram" and will start to pust the ram out. At first the air will come out from the opened bleeding valve, then the spurts of oil. When you ran out of the oil in the tank (never run it empty) switch off the pilot (sTOP), CLOSE the valve, refill the tank with oil.
6. Now the ram is completely out, open the outer valve, again engage the pilot (AUTO) and move the rudder angle to the other side. The ram will start to move inside, and the same thing will happen again. You have to repeat this several times, there will be less and less bubbles coming out and when at least three times you complete the cycle without any bubbles, only clean oil flow, you can stop.

This is the simple way how one can do it. But if not possible from any reason, a friend might help you with moving the rudder, pressing AUTO/STOP, etc...

IF you pilot does not want to work in the first way, then you have bigger and more annoying problem. In this case you have to hard wire the pump, with two wires from the battery. The flow (and the movement of the ram) is controlled by the direction how the pump is turning. So, you put + on one side, - on the other and if the ram is moving in the wrong direction, you change + & -. This opreation requires 2 people. one to work the pump and other on the ram. Be sure that the solenoid valve is egaged (powered up) and go to point 5. (except now you control the flow with power, you disconnect the angle sensor).

It is a shitty job and will not increase the love for the French, the NKE system, minis in general, and you' ll surely invent some new nasty words involving body parts, family members, etc...

Then you start wondering why on earth one shouldn't buy the electrical ram instead...

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 00:35:45 AM »
That was, by far, the best explanation of that sort I've ever read.  Points also awarded for humor...

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
Nathan, if you do it, make some photos of the tube setup, and other comments.
Then I will make a top topic of it :)

That oil reservoir on the pump is kind of delicate, be careful.

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 16:20:30 PM »
Wow!  Thank you so much Kristian, that is exactly what I was looking for. 

Leo:  I'll let you know how it goes.  The boat is already enough of a mess that I hesitate to post pictures.  (There is already a lot of kittie litter soaking up oil spills...)

I'll let you know how it goes.

n