Author Topic: (how to tension pbo rigging without turnbuckles) Dumb Question of the Month  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Kevin

Here's a nice Mini photo

http://www.louis-mauffret.com/gallery/2006-2007%20Mise%20a%20l%27eau%20et%20navigation/index.html

(won't link directly - I mean the 10th photo down)

where you can clearly see the standing rigging is PBO or similar, and the shrouds are attached by lashings. Whilst this is a nice, low tech, low weight, low cost alternative to rigging screws, how would you go about getting the rig tension correct, or even the same on both sides?

Answers on a postcard....

Kev
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 11:32:05 AM by Leov »

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
Re: Dumb Question of the Month
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 17:41:08 PM »
It includes a mastjack ?

Offline Tingle

• My Site
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 17:51:19 PM »
There is no 'correct' rig tension, in the sense you put on x Kg of tension in the shrouds since it changes boat to boat so you have to keep on experimenting until you feel you have it correct when sailing.

As for getting both sides the same, even with bottle screws you wouldn't have an advantage since it requires your shouds to be identical, which isn't the easiest of things to do when making them up.

A mastjack has got to be adding unneeded weight and complication??

In my experience I have found you just fiddle with it until you are happy, go out sailing, fiddle more, go out sailing, fiddle more, go out......

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 18:03:01 PM »
Ah, you can take out mastjack later, you get a powerfull tension that way. But  probably enough do it your way.

Offline Tingle

• My Site
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 18:05:57 PM »
I saw Peter doing it a novel way, tied his halyard to the side of the boat and then winched away, it pulled the mast over allowing him to tighten up the shroud.  Probably will only work with a rig like his though (so only the one set of shrouds)