Author Topic: Any word from Sam, Drew or Katy?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline TexLex

Any word from Sam, Drew or Katy?
« on: September 15, 2008, 21:08:47 PM »
I know Seabrook got hit pretty hard. Hope they and their boats and shop made it alright.

My Schock Santana 3030 on Clear Lake (right around the corner from Sam) made it even though the whole marina was trashed and most boats didnt.

TexLex
(Chris Farmer)

Offline TexLex

Re: Any word from Sam, Drew or Katy?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 21:32:49 PM »
Just talked to Sam and he and his Dix mini and the shop are fine. He said Drew and Katy probably got some water in their place, but I am not sure they have had a chance to check it out yet.

My thoughts and prayers are with all sailors (and everyone) on the coast who are recovering from Ike.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 22:16:43 PM »
Ah thats shit.

Offline TomH

• CruisingSailor.org
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 18:25:39 PM »

FYI -- I received the following via  Joe Cooper / Short-handed.org
--------------------

Drew and Katie on the other hand had their rented house trashed, apparently suffering a direct hit. The information we were able to coax out of them is that all they have left is what they are wearing.

This is the original Email I got from Jan Brandt this morning:
--------
Please forward to whomever appropriate:

Drew called me this afternoon and asked me to get an email out to everyone. He and Katie evacuated to Denver Hopkins's house in NW Houston while Sam Asmus evacuated to family.  All are safe.  Apparently cell coverage is slowly coming back; however, power will be out for quite a while longer.

Sam's house is OK, with only minor flooding in the workshop.

Drew and Katie were not so lucky.  Their neighborhood got devastated.  Their rental flooded 3 ft deep and so they lost most everything they own.  Drew tried to be his normal self on the phone, but it was obviously that they got hit hard.  He does not yet know where he and Katie will live in the near future.  He is trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

When I hear any news or find out what and how we might be able to help I will be sure to pass it along. Stay tuned.

Jan

--------

And this is where you all come in.

IF you have a few bucks you can kick in to help these folks the procedure is identified below in bold blue.

You will need Pay Pal account. IF other ways of doing this emerge in due course I will update you all.

The following email are the instructions for contributing (in blue) and more instructions (in red) and the paper trail format from another Kate, Triplett, who lived thru Katrina and so has a first hand take on life in Houston today.

-----
-----
If you'd like to donate to Drew and Katie, go to
www.paypal.com
Send money to katie@usa650.com
Subject "Hurricane Ike Donation"

This way the Mini Class will be able to keep track of how much was donated directly to Drew and Katie, although I realize you all are allowing them to use the Mini Class funds if needed.  She is humbled that everyone wants to help and didn't want to accept.  But you all know I'm pushy and I reminded her that 3 years ago I accepted donations for Hurricane Katrina and felt awful about it.  It's way more fun to give.  Now, three years later, I am able to give back.  That's the way the world goes round!  Wendy, I remember when you and Dave cooked the ENTIRE Mini Class a beautiful meal before the Bermuda 1-2 and you and I had this exact conversation.  Remember?  I'm really proud of this group and I remember feeling like a family during the B1-2 and it's nice to see that we still are today.

For now, money really is the best thing because it's nice to have a financial security blanket.  That's the first thing we all worry about.  I just deposited $100.  Wish it were more.  I hope you all will feel compelled to do the same.

Kind regards,
Katie Triplett
504-352-5007

-----
-----

So, again if you have a 20 or a 50/100 laying in the cars arm rest, this might be one way to spend it…
Any questions please let me know.

Thanks you all
Cheers
Joe Cooper

------------------------------------

Hope that helps all the friends of Katie & Drew who would like to know the status and might be able to help,

TomH