Author Topic: Bermuda 1-2  (Read 16275 times)

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
Re: Bermuda 1-2
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 16:49:18 PM »
I'll be racing Josephine, Proto 179

Offline Wookie Racing

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 19:57:03 PM »
Hi All - Jan, Drew, et al.  I am down here in Bermuda & am looking forward to seeing the Minis @ St. Georges Dinghy Club.

Anything I can help with, let me know.

W

Offline Wookie Racing

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 18:13:12 PM »
Just adding some more info from here in Bermuda for the unfamiliar (gave Duncan a little head start!! :)

There are several larger, established Guest Houses/B&B's (sorted by distance from Dinghy Club):
Aunt Nea's Inn (St. Georges) - < 2 min walk  <small & will book up fast>
St Geaorges Club (St Georges) - < 5 min walk  <larger but expensive>
Groto Bay Hotel (near Airport) - 10 min drive  <far enough away to be a PITA>
Taffaral Guest House (Baileys Bay) - 15 min drive
ClearView Cottages (Crawl Hill) - 17 min drive
Domaine Appartments (Shelly Bay) - 20 min drive

Also, there is a website www.bermudarentals.com ... click on the "East End" link.  There are a few homes/rooms there as well.

If all this fails to pan out, drop me a PM & I'll see if I can help.

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 00:29:02 AM »
Are there any 'creature' comforts at the St George Dingy Club, like showers, bar, etc?

Thanks for the list of websites for housing.

Sam
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com

Offline sharkbait

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 00:57:14 AM »
There are showers, laundry, and a bar at the dinghy club. If you ask nicely then the bartender will even put on a put of coffee for ya ... what more could you need??

Offline r.finn

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 07:14:46 AM »
Thanks for the help and kind offer Wookie Racing.  It's nice to have a contact there.

-Ryan Finn
Go Saints!

Offline usa577

• http://www.usa650.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 17:52:04 PM »
For those people not on the other side of the country, there is going to be a skippers meeting / Shore Party for the Bermuda 1-2 this Saturday, the third of March. Hope to see you there!

We are going to try to bring the mini down and have it on the dock as well..

Drew

Offline r.finn

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 04:14:14 AM »
Won't be there.  Drink a lot for me though.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 17:55:15 PM »
Hi All

Take a look at www.USA680.com  Red Dress Racing is back in the B 1-2 with a Mini this year.

Adrian

Offline skippertom

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 20:48:49 PM »
Hi All

Take a look at www.USA680.com  Red Dress Racing is back in the B 1-2 with a Mini this year.

Adrian

Cool website. I've literally spent the past hour staring at it and thinking about how awesome it looks. Nice job. (So much for homework... )

Anyway, in other news, I think I am trying to get down there for the start and maybe a few days before, to help out whoever needs it. I get my license May 9, so I'm thinking about trying to get my parents to let me drive myself to Newport from the Cape. I really wish I could be on that start line.

(Kudos to Joe Cooper for starting up the Short-Handed Association, as well as Drew and Katie for the launching of their mini.)

-Tom

Offline usa577

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 04:01:25 AM »
Hey Tom,
I think that even if your parents won't let you have the car for the drive from the cape.. there's got to be a way for you to get here before the start so you can go for a sail with one of us, etc.
I think you should really get out on a mini!!

actually...I think I should get out on a mini...

I should hurry up with that ...

By the way, (maybe someone said this already??) there are now four minis at the Newport shipyard if anyone wants to take a look:
2 Zeros imported by North American Mini transat
and Josephine, #176.

It's pretty cool that they are all in one place.
Drew, Tara, Jay and I have lots of work to do on them as well.. so, if you stop by... bring your work  clothes.. ;)

kt

Offline TomH

• CruisingSailor.org
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2007, 04:28:56 AM »
It would be great for all "wannabees with work clothes" if you posted a consolidated work schedule for all Mini preparation activity at Newport Shipyard :)

Don't be shy now... just need the days when you (all four) know one of you will need help and be there for sure.

Come to think of it, this SMF forum software does have a "Calender" feature that would make it easy to post a sched of all Mini activities, including work parties. Maybe someone could turn on the SimpleMachines Calendar?

I'll be there anyway...

Offline Wookie Racing

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 14:39:19 PM »
Good Luck getting prepared you all.  Any help I can offer from here in Bermuda let me know.

Looking forward to seeing you at the finish.

Wookie

Offline usa577

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 15:50:01 PM »
A schedule? :) At the moment we are pretty beyond schedules as we are all a little stressed!

The work that is being done now is to get all of the boats sailing ASAP so that we can get our qualification miles completed by the 21st of May! (edited.. somehow I typed june!)

The girls have to do a little bottom work, mount the last few bits of hardware, launch, rig, and hopefully they will have their new sails immediately after that. Still lots of wiring to do as well.

Jay Launched his boat yesterday, and will be looking to get the rig in it this weekend, as well as get all of the other gear onboard. He should be sailing in the next week, but will still have a lot of small projects to take care of.

My boat is in the water, and we are mounting the last of the hardware and running strings to make things work. Still a lot to do as there is no electrical system yet, so a lot of work to do this weekend. We are also finishing the boom at home. I am expecting my sails this week, so hopefully we can see if this thing works within the week!

Drew
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 17:17:11 PM by usa577 »

Offline TomH

• CruisingSailor.org
What schedule? (was Re: Bermuda 1-2)
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 17:34:47 PM »
Sorry to be so unclear when asking for "schedule" info...
was not meaning "what tasks" are being/need to be done.

- I intended "when (days/times) skippers are at the boats" needing extra hands for various work/help

- doesn't matter who needs the help or what the task is - I just wanted to know that when I (and maybe others) can drive down to Newport (or where ever) that there's someone gonna be there to put me to work...

Sincerely,
Tom "wannabee with work clothes"