Author Topic: What qualifications should you have for the transat?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline carl170

What qualifications should you have for the transat?
« on: January 02, 2009, 13:30:17 PM »
I have been looking at the details for qualifying , but cannot find any details as to what sailing qualifications/courses are recommended (or compulsory). Does it follow along the lines of required RYA courses or is it isaf?.

My french is not up to much either, but I intend to rectify this!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but on the official site I cannot find the information.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 14:14:20 PM by carl170 »

Offline KeithW

• My minitransat campaign
Re: What qualifications should you have for the transat?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 23:32:14 PM »
You will need an FFV (French sailing licence), ISAF survival course, as a minimum, looks like we may all need first aid certificates this year as well for at least some of the races, certainly the Mini Pavois and the Transat, plus VHF licence I assumme.

If you are UK based then start looking at all the RYA courses now, it is Fastnet year and lots of the courses get block booked by RORC boats and it can be quite hard to find spaces. As far as the first aid goes I asked if the RYA first aid certificate met the requirement and haven't had a response yet so not sure if the RYA one is sufficient yet or not.

As far as the french goes the better it is the easier it gets, but don't worry initially there are lots of people who will help you out.

Keith - GBR440 (Pogo2)

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 17:09:44 PM »
One other thing I have noticed in the rules - if one wants to do the 1,000 nm singlehanded qualifier, one has to provide a logbook showing celestial navigation calculations (E-11-c-7).

Is this correct?  Is celestial navigation required?

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 18:02:31 PM »
Yes, you have to do it while doing the qualifier...