Author Topic: Building the Class 9.50 in the North Pacific.  (Read 2215 times)

Offline turns

Building the Class 9.50 in the North Pacific.
« on: December 24, 2008, 18:44:04 PM »
Hello from Alaska.

I would surely like to see this class 9.50 take off in the Pacific Rim. We desperately need to have a mid size ocean going racing class. This class 9.50 is the ideal size for starting off shore sailing events, and connecting are coastal communities.

We need a small fast ocean going vessel,  just big enough for modern electronics, radar, computer navigation, and cold weather safety/survival gear. The mini's would be a tuff sell in are harsh climate.  The class 40 would be to expensive. The class 9.50 could be the ideal platform, to build new coastal programs around. 

Deep draft is going to be an issue with are 20 plus feet of tide here in Homer Alaska. Is there a possible lifting keel option yet? WE could work around the draft issue, but I believe that we could sell more boats if we could rase up the lead a little. Not for sailing mind you, just for getting off the hard, or seeking shelter in the shallows.

Now that I'm 50 and retired from commercial fishing for the most part, I want to sail fast again with friends or solo. I keep thing about how much fun it would be to do annual migrations with the sea birds and whales. Sailing events from Alaska, down the west coast to Mexico. From Mexico to Hawaii. From Hawaii back to Alaska or east to Asia.

Most round the world ocean racing never experience Alaskan waters. We are kind of sheltered from the main stream media in the sailing world. Not because of a lack of beauty mind you, but because of are harsh, remote,  and extreme coastline. Kind of the pleasure for the solo sailer.

Another issue is building the vessel on the west coast, or right here in Alaska. We have very talented boat builders of every medium. Sure we pay more to ship supplies up north, but thats manageable. We want to create worth jobs for are very skilled sea people. Many of my friends are boat builders and fabricators. The west coast is a little behind the east coast in a sailing sense, but that the hole reason for starting a Class 9.50 out of Alaska. Its news worthy.

What we do lack in Alaska are designers, of  class 9.50 vessels. We have the talent to build and teach the joys of sailing fast. But we have yet to grasp the tiller and steer the course, to a practical way to build the class9.50.   

I guess thats why I'm here on this form tonight. Looking for suggestions form you experienced ocean sailers. Before my 25 plus years of commercial fishing/ boatbuiding in Alaska, I was ocean sailer. The fastnet in 79 was one of my highs and lows that year. My passion has always been with flight on the sea........ Fortunately, a great deal of my commercial fishing in Alaska was on the old Halibut Schooners that were built at the turn of the 1900's. We at least had steadying sails, and a rounded stern. I spent many hours baiting hooks dreaming about someday sailing to distant shores again. It seem like my dreams are taking shape with the class 9.50.