Author Topic: What paint to use on keel (orange)  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Craig

• Craig Horsfield Racing
What paint to use on keel (orange)
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:18:56 AM »
Just getting ready to paint the keel, problem finding what product to use. What is common product used. Thanks
Craig

Offline phoenix

Re: What paint to use on keel (orange)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 18:35:55 PM »
Hey Craig, Nautix has an excellent hard racing paint available in orange (A9 Tspeed - fluo), but I don't know if anyone is importing Nautix on our side of the pond? I tried the orange from VC but it was pretty crap. You have to have VC white as a base coat and then put about 6 coats of the orange before you see any color. I think Drew found something good from ePaint, but dont' know the reference...

Andy

Offline sailor66

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 20:11:45 PM »
Anyone tried the Petit Vivid? http://www.pettitpaint.com/vivid.asp

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 23:00:42 PM »
I used Petit Vivid on my Pogo 1. Works well at keeping hardstuff off, slimey stuff just wipes off as it is ablative.

I burnished it some but as I had rolled and tipped it was not a smooth as it could have been. I figured for my first year or two, I had way more to learn about the boat than a perfect bottom would provide.

This year I will look at it out of the water as I seem to be getting the hang of the boat and if I need to do it again, I will spray the stuff on. Otherwise I will spend some time making it smooth.

Oh yeah, add the red to the yellow till you get orange. Otherwise you never get to orange with a quart of yellow.... ;-)
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com

Offline Atlantic Project

• Atlantic Project
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 02:02:44 AM »
Hey Craig, Nautix has an excellent hard racing paint available in orange (A9 Tspeed - fluo), but I don't know if anyone is importing Nautix on our side of the pond? I tried the orange from VC but it was pretty crap. You have to have VC white as a base coat and then put about 6 coats of the orange before you see any color. I think Drew found something good from ePaint, but dont' know the reference...

Andy

Hi all.

As Andy says, International fluo is bullshit. I had to spend about two liters to get any colour on my zero's keel and rudders... it was incredible, because the paint was not a solid color but transparent... pure crap. Next time i'm going for Nautix, as it seems to be much better. There's also an orange from Plastimo wich seems to perform well but i do not know if it can be found in US.

Pedro

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:21:22 AM »
I just put the first coat of E-Paint (safety orange) on my rudders and am planning on using it on my keel as well.  From all of the reports that I've gotten, it's supposed to be really great stuff, although a bit finicky in the surface prep.  Also nice is that it cleans up with water!

Offline solochallenges

• Andrew Wood's 2007 mini transat campaign
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 21:57:26 PM »
Hey, I used international's vc fluro last year and it barely passed the secure as it was so thin! At the boat show this year I chatted with one of the guys from International who knew there was a problem with it, but as they sell so little, there is no hurry to invest in an improved version. International supplied all of my paints from primers to topsides, and I'm really happy with the rest of it, the vc offshore antifoul worked great for the whole season.

Offline r.finn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 00:21:59 AM »
These guys make a nice paint. www.epaint.net

It goes on very smoothly and dries hard.  No need to burnish it.   

In a month I have not yet had to clean my rudders.

Oops!  I see Jay has already mentioned it.