Author Topic: Pacific Cup  (Read 3868 times)

Offline tcuevas

Pacific Cup
« on: August 06, 2009, 00:29:19 AM »
All,

For those that don't know the Pacific Cup is a 2,000 mile ocean race from San Francisco to Hawaii.  It was started as a race to allow the ULDBs of the 70's (Moore 24, Express 27 and Santa Cruz 27s) an oppertunity to race to Hawaii as they are excluded from the Transpac.  I have been in contact with the race comittiee over the last spring to ahve them modify the rules to allow minis.  They were very receptive and added the loop holes nessary for us to enter.  This is not a single handed race, (however the singlehadned transpac will allow minis) so we would have to enter as double handed.  The good news is they would allow us to subistute sat phone for SSB, otherwise our class boats would be ready to go.  we could minimize the cost of the trip by shareing a shipping container on the way home.  I have entered the race and if you have interest feel free to contact me at the email adress below. taylor.cuevas@stantec.com a URL to check out the race is http://pacificcup.org/

Offline sr

• Koh Samia's blog
Re: Pacific Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »
Hi taylor,

Surfing all the way to Hawaii in a mini is definitely in my To-Do list, but I don't think I've enough 'social skills' to share a boat the size of a mini with somebody for 2 weeks...  ;-) so basically the singlehanded transpac would be closer to my personal objective. I still need lots of mini-miles under my belt in order to be able to do it, though.

Santi

Offline tcuevas

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
That's cool I can understand,  I race with my girlfriend and it works surprising well.  The single-handed transpac guys are waiting for someone to sail the Mini.  I have done several races with the Single-handed Sailing Society and they have been really accommodating and accepting of the Mini class rules. 

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:44 AM »
Hi Taylor,

I'm back in the office after sailing a few miles this summer.
I have been receiving the Pac Cup e-newsletter & thinking that it might be a good 2010 W coast race for the Minis.
Congrats for making the commitment & giving some leadership from the Bay.
Today I started a thread on the NAMini Class forum re a W coast race & mentioned a Mini entry but not your boat # & name.
Would you like to jump into the discussion about a W coast race for 2010 & make some arguments for the DH, Pac Cup over other alternatives such as the SHSS Transpac?
Other readers here, jump in to the discussion too & let's see what the interest is.

Offline sr

• Koh Samia's blog
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:06:40 AM »
Hi,

My current plan for 2010 is to join the Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association (http://www.pssala.com/) and sail the Guadalupe Island race (as qualifier), and, hopefully the SH Transpac. Long shot, I know... :-)

Santi

Offline DRYachts

• www.dryachts.nl
    • www.dryachts.nl
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 00:20:13 AM »

Offline sr

• Koh Samia's blog
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 02:42:04 AM »
Thanks a lot for all your help and support Hans!

I'll do my best to take her safe and fast to Hawaii... but I must say that sailing on the IJsselmeer was way more fun than I ever thought!

She's pretty, isn't she?  ;-)

Santi

Offline John.F

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 19:50:52 PM »
Hi,
I am a sailor based out of Victoria BC. I am highly motivated to do a pacific race on a mini. I have mini experience on all maneuvers and have raced for many years on many different types of boats. I have done a double handed delivery from Trinidad to Bermuda and am well familiar with single handed sailing. I am familiar with offshore conditions and life offshore. If any one is doing the pac cup or any other race on a mini and needs crew please contact me at         joe_blow29@hotmail.com