Author Topic: lifting a pogo1 with a crane  (Read 1874 times)

Offline feder568

lifting a pogo1 with a crane
« on: August 11, 2009, 23:17:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

I need to lift my pogo1 with the crane of my club, this crane is quite small, so I've not chances to use the standard system with the brackets, I need to create a system with a single suspension spring that goes from the bulb of the boat through the deck (like the same system on J24 or Platu25).

I would like to know if someone experienced this system with a pogo or a minitransat in general, and if He can pass me some tips, please.

My idea is to unscrew 4 of the bolt's nuts that joint the bulb with the hull, put a steel plate with an eye-bolt in the meddle, screwn in back the nuts, and pass a kevlar spring through the deck and to the crane hook.
My main concern is about how safe and stable will be to make this system on this kind of boat, if the structure of the hull can be damaged and also I've not idea on how to find the right center of gravity where to put the attaching point.

Any help will be very appreciated.
thank you
Federico

Offline iznogoud

Re: lifting a pogo1 with a crane
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 22:45:09 PM »
Hey;
I did it on my super calin:
I asked the yard for the CG - in my case alomost the last two bolts
Drilled a hole in the deck 
I used 2 eye nuts from wichard instead of the usual nuts
Made some lifting strap with 8mm vectran (spliced at both ends - I used 2 times 2 just because I was scared) that are going from the nuts to the roof
and to finish a lashing to the rigth size to go through the hole to the crane.

Everry thing went fine :)

hope it helps

Offline feder568

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 00:50:29 AM »
Thanks mate,
 in effect I was now thinking at another system just to avoid the hole at the deck,
I heard that someone used to lift the Pogo using the chain and the backstays plates, with 2 springs per side goes at the hook of the crane.

Anyone can suggest or discourage this system?

thx

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 17:20:30 PM »
Normally the shrouds can have shokloads as high as your boat weight (Righting Moment stuff).
So this system is used a lot, on Pogo1,2 (dedicated wichard pads),Zero etc etc.
Keep your boat empty, and keep the hook away from the mast with the lines that go backwards...