Author Topic: Secondary Auto pilots Raymarine 2000 plus verses Simrad TP22 or 32  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Reddy

Can any one give me their thoughts on the difference between the Raymarine 2000 plus and the Simrad TP 22 or 32 as a secondary Autopilot?
Randy

Offline thorsten

• www.thorstenjunge.de
Re: Secondary Auto pilots Raymarine 2000 plus verses Simrad TP22 or 32
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 15:40:05 PM »
What's the first or main autopilot? If it's already a Raymarine with a 4000 ram then just buy another 4000 ram as spare instead of these tillerpilots, which last only some 250 to 300 hours of steering. The guys doing the MT have three rams and change them every day, 'cause even a 4000 ram won't last the whole Atlantic crossing. These TPs are not build for hard work, too slow and too weak. Only good for motoring or sailing closehauled.

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 18:28:20 PM »
I'm still thinking about what to put on the boat for pilots and was thinking about using NKE for the primary system and using a tp22 for a back up.  THe plan was to use the tp22 for light air and emergency use.

Will I need to buy a second ram for the NKE system though?

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 23:16:38 PM »
not for the NKE, but learn to fill up the oil and get the air bubbles out.
The Tp32 is the better choice for this. It has its own fluxgate (can be wrong as types constantly change specs...)

Offline thorsten

• www.thorstenjunge.de
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 23:36:31 PM »
All three of them got a fluxgate built in. Lock-to-lock time for the TP22 6,9sec, TP32 4sec, ST2000+ 4,5 sec with no load. Peak thrust 70 kg, 85 kg and 77 kg, same order. That's what they say.

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:27:57 AM »
not for the NKE, but learn to fill up the oil and get the air bubbles out.
The Tp32 is the better choice for this. It has its own fluxgate (can be wrong as types constantly change specs...)

I grew up on big boats with too many hydraulics.  You need to baby them for sure, but when they behave life is so good. ;)

I was looking at the tp32 and thinking that it might be better for mini applications but it is nice to hear that confirmed.  Can I use the NKE computer with tp32?

In my past experience it's always the seals that go with hydraulics.  What else fails?  I'm a still learning about the finer points of autopilots...

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »
Ah, i think that the nmea shit was the reason they liked 32 the most, so yes to NathanBaron.

Offline Reddy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 13:33:41 PM »
I looked through all the data and came to the same conclusion that as a stand alone The Simrad T32 looked the best. I have not used the Simrad. I have found with the Raymarine  that downwind in rocky seas can be a challenge as it wanders.  The lock time seems to be the problem. I guess that is what you mean.
Thorsten is the Raytherm 4000 used as the primary a lot? I have heard the same on the rams. I notice on the Raytherm site that The 4000 will be discontinued and a new system coming. Do you know anything about that?
Also how does the 4000 compare to the NKE? I am looking for a new system for my 25 to gain some experience. I think the 4000 would be my best option at this point.

Thank you
Randy

Offline thorsten

• www.thorstenjunge.de
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 18:29:41 PM »
I've got three Raymarine 4000 rams in use on my mini with a 6001gp and a 4000 computer. I had no choice with the electronics cause I bought the boat used, but they all work allright. A bit slower and a bit weaker than the nke's, but also quite a bit less powerconsumption. Very important on long passages. An dthat's all I've got, no TP or 2000+ as backup.
Different with the nke users, there are not too many having a spare ram of the same size, cause that is quite a mess to change them. So there it makes sense having a TP32 or a 20+ as backup, but they won't last long when used as a primary system. Many have two tillerpilots as spare.
Don't know about the 4000 being discontinued, might well be as it has some ten years or so on the market now. I still got a 6000 ram at home from my old boat, but I never installed it, so maybe I put that on my mini as an under deck ram, when I go into proto cruising....
Starting from new, I would go for the nke. They seem to be the most relyable at the moment.