Author Topic: Where to buy them?  (Read 5104 times)

Offline HUGO RAMON

Where to buy them?
« on: February 06, 2007, 16:19:51 PM »
Hello minists friends! After seeing I will have to buy litium batteries, I'ld like to know were...

Alex is it possible to buy genasun batteries in europe? How much it will cost de delivery?

Other ideas for europe?

Cheers

Offline Tingle

• My Site
Re: Where to buy them?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 17:43:49 PM »
Have a word with Nicko Brennan (Google), he is in the process of getting a set in the UK

James

Offline HUGO RAMON

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 18:36:28 PM »
ok thanks!

More ideas?

Thanks a lot

Offline alex

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 19:28:41 PM »
Hi Hugo,

Just replied to your French post...

Here is our offer:

http://www.genasun.com/lithium.shtml

Our production batteries will ship at the end of March, for delivery in the first week of April.  Shipping cost to France will probably be about 300-350 USD for a pair of batteries.

By the numbers I've seen, our GL-105 system appears to the the lightest, smallest, highest capacity and cheapest (of firm offers...) system out there.

Alex MeVay, 332

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 23:00:03 PM »
and tested on a mini :)

Offline HUGO RAMON

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 23:57:15 PM »
Good Thanks! Give me a few days and I'll got an answer!

Offline loco

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 04:35:27 AM »
sorry to put a wet blanket on this but it is nuts to alow batteries that cost $5900 US for 2, if not alowed everyone is in the same weight issue.
this does not help a class.
why not just alow tungsten bulbs and titanium

Offline HUGO RAMON

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:28:23 AM »
Yes I agree but I'ts decided so nothing to say now... We can just buy them If we want to be on the correct weight...

Offline windswept

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 03:34:56 AM »
  It would seem that if I use the lithium batterys vs lead acid type  the 50-75# weight reduction will
decrease my stability  for the 90 degree test. requiring I add 10-15# to my bulb weight or possibly
cant the keel a couple degrees less. I suppose most boats are not this critical on 90 degree stability
test, are there other options to gain back stability.

Offline benjamin

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 23:37:01 PM »
I agree that allowing Li puts an excesive burden on the Mini budget, but on a cost per weight saved basis it's not out of this world.  I figure about $70/lb for Li battery upgrade, compared to $50/lb for carbon mast upgrade, but of course the weight saved in the mast has a much greater benefit.  The thing I can't figure out is why are composite chainplates so popular. I got a quote on a new proto build for $5000 upgrade from stainless chainplates.  Total weight savings was 4 lbs.. thats $1250/lb at deck level!

Sorry for veering off topic.

Offline GDesign

• G Yacht Design
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 23:52:53 PM »
I am building my proto with laminated chainplates, not much difference in price. 5000 only for the chainplate upgrade? sounds crazy

Offline windswept

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 00:36:57 AM »
  I say the mini sailors should boycott the lithium battery rule, just because some lithium lobbist got
his way doesnt mean the rest of us have to particpate in madness.

Offline Ubik no more 245

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 09:10:49 AM »
Hi Windswept,

good idea that you have, but at least the people who want to win will have to buy these batteries. Some of them already had them last year, so if you don't want to have a weight penalty you have to upgrade.
Only winning counts for some campaigns and they don't have to care about money.

Offline Zimonem

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 14:17:46 PM »
  I say the mini sailors should boycott the lithium battery rule, just because some lithium lobbist got
his way doesnt mean the rest of us have to particpate in madness.

my god, nobody forces you to do anything. if you havent notice, Transat 650 is a race. You can apply if you want or you just leave it, it is up to you. If that does not digg it, or if you want just to cross an ocean, then why the hassle, hop into the boat and sail away. You donĀ“t even need a mini for that...
Class has decided (foolishly, i admit that) to permit Li-Ion and it is up to you whether you will buy it or no. They are not forcing you to buy, since you will be stil allowed to start with led acid (and you will have much more beer moneya left).

whining is easy, where were you when the class was voting on that issue?

Offline Ubik no more 245

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 14:32:23 PM »
I was at the AG in Paris and I just can say the voting count nothing. The decision was made by the board of directors and not by the members. Maybe the members would vote in the same way but on the AG in Paris nearly everbody voted against the new batteries.

For me the problem is not that big, because I don't have the chance to win. But still I think it is getting harder to put up a good campaign when you are not already a professional sailor or/and have a lot of money.