Author Topic: Where to buy them?  (Read 5103 times)

Offline usa577

• http://www.usa650.com
Re: Where to buy them?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 15:09:02 PM »
This is an interesting topic. I can totally understand folks not feeling that they should be allowed, however, I think we have to look at the problem a little more broadly..

If the Class were to decide that you could not use Honda generators, that you could only use some other brand would that be fair? Half the fleet already has Honda, what do you do? (I know that not half the fleet has Lithium, but some boats already do.)

I also do not like the idea of slowing innovation. I think in this respect Lithium batteries are very important. Alex, who is making the Genasun batteries is involved in some other projects that I think are really impressive. When he was working on the prototype battery he was at the same time working on some larger packs for electric cars. This technology is EXACTLY what the classe mini is trying to promote with their environmental pact, doing away with generators for the next race, etc. The price, like everything else will come down as the market gets bigger, and in the meantime we should not slow development.

And what is the plan do you think for 09? Solar cells, fuel cells (expensive!), something new? Who is going to develop this stuff if they aren't selling any products? The early adopters are the guys helping to make this stuff possible for the rest of us! Let's try to keep an open mind here guys and think about something other than our small pocketbooks!

Drew

Offline windswept

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 18:50:56 PM »
   How can you possibly compare the choice of a brand of generator with allowing  a ultra expensive
option. What they should do is have a seperate lithium ion class or have a 5-10 second a mile time
allowance.If you want to be involved in battery tech',then its true electric vehicles are going to push battery tech alot faster then the minitransat will.  Why not wait a few years. Its like any tech first its expensive,
give it 5 years and at least it will be semi affordable. Actually as lead is allowed in the keel ,       I'm
going to turn my bulb into a battery, it may corrode a little over time but then the weight penalty won't
be so bad.

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 20:08:35 PM »
Wind,

Just be careful that you have enough ballast in the keel to maintain the 'righting moment' for the whole trip.

Sam
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com