Author Topic: Mini Class Racing in the UK  (Read 5982 times)

Offline andyoll

Mini Class Racing in the UK
« on: August 17, 2010, 00:52:01 AM »
Hi
Is there anybody out there that might be interested in Mini Class racing in the UK based out of the Solent?
There is a great series of solo races organised by SORC (http://www.offshoresolo.com/) - used to be Petit Bateau. If we can get a few more Mini's involved we'll have our own class in each race, which is very much preferable to rating under IRC and giving time to much bigger boats.. The next item on the calendar is 19/9/2010 - the Nab Solo.

Offline André

Re: Mini Class Racing in the UK
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 17:40:49 PM »
Can you tell something more about the yearly program? Maybe there are fun races to ship the boat for!

André

Offline Glyn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 21:11:36 PM »
Hi Andy,

I've entered the Pogo 2 in the Royal Southampton Nab Tower double on the Sat 18th and intend to do the Solo Sunday 19th.
The Ginto mini 'Blue fizz' (I think) has gone from the Hamble river although they entered the double handed race RIOW, maybe able to contact them through this forum.
Drop us a line if you ever want to do some two boat training during any weekend.
Crean is due to come out of the water late Oct and you can borrow the berth on the Hamble for the winter if you want to keep your boat local.
laters

Glyn

CREAN
GBR 449

Offline André

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:38:37 AM »
Hi Glyn,

I see you guess I am from the UK, so therefore I understand your question.
But I am a Dutch sailor looking for nice foreign races (in Belgium, UK and France).
There are plenty though.

So, thanks for the offer, but I can not do something like that.

Bye,
André

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 22:01:58 PM »
Andre misunderstood himself for Andy (original poster)

Offline André

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:21:33 AM »
My god, that's stupid. Nexxt time I will paty more attention while posting early in the morning...

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 16:58:58 PM »
BUt it was a nice offer :)

Offline André

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 23:31:08 PM »
Sure is / was! :-)

Offline andyoll

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 14:25:56 PM »
André - The calendar this year for SORC races can be seen here: http://www.offshoresolo.com/calendar. It is always a very mixed fleet of different boats racing under IRC handicap system - mini's to class 40's on the start line together. If we had enough Mini's for any race then we'd create a separate class - 4 would do it.

Gyln - I'll see you for the Nab races - I'll be doing both too - 2-hander I won't be on a Mini though. Nice offer re. mooring in the Solent - I'm based in the Solent too now - too many trips this year between Brighton and the Solent convinced me to migrate to Portsmouth.

bests

Andy

Offline andyoll

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 14:29:53 PM »
Anyone got contact details for 'Blue fizz'? - Certainly worth trying to get them involved for the Sunday race,if already signed up for the Saturday - the more the merrier!

Andy

Offline KeithW

• My minitransat campaign
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:28:56 PM »
For any body who is interested in the UK mini scene, Pippa will have her pogo 2 exhibited at the southampton boatshow, the stand will be manned mainly by her but there are days when the stand will be manned by other SORC folks, I will be there looking after the stand on the 16th so if anybody wants to get together and know about mini how about coming along to the stand.

Keith - Ex GBR440 Transat 09

Offline Charlie P

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 22:02:42 PM »
I am based on the East Coast until I can handle this stuff, then I'll come down to the South Coast (spring time), but intend to do a few runs over to Belgium, Holland if there are any guys over there? If anyone wants to "visit" with their boat, the hospitality in Burnham is second to none. Question - What are the majority using in terms of sails?

Charlie P

Offline Glyn

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 20:57:14 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anyone know the UK boat named French Kiss (Ginto), sails out the Hamble?
They have entered the Nab Tower race (18th Sept).

Now we potentially have 5 mini's on the Solent for SORC & Royal Southampton YC Double Handed racing.

For info:
Newton my current insurance company have pulled the cover on my mini for next year despite 5 years no claim bonus etc.
I have found some good Mini insurance for the Pogo 2 with Fastnet and Yachting 24.
Thanks Andy for the contacts

Glyn

Offline Charlie P

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 19:24:53 PM »
If you want an insurance quote from Fastnet, speak to Richard Power......my brother in law! If anyone can, he will.

Offline Paul Peggs

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 18:57:37 PM »
Hi

Great to see some interest in getting mini racing going in the Solent, as one of the main organisers of SORC (solo offshore racing club) i can confirm we are very keen to get Minis along to our events and to give them there own class to race in.

Our next and last event of the season is on the 3rd October and its not to late to enter or to have your own class in the race. As mentioned above go to www.offshoresolo.com for details or contact me paulpeggs@hotmail.com for more info.

Cheers Paul Peggs