Author Topic: Mini Class Racing in the UK  (Read 5518 times)

Offline andyoll

Re: Mini Class Racing in the UK
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 01:08:56 AM »
UK Mini Skippers

In preparation for some UK based Mini racing in 2011, there is going to be a lunch time meeting at Hamble on Sunday Nov 7th to discuss ideas.
The object of the meeting is to assess the enthusiasm for mini racing in the Solent on a regular basis, both solo and double handed, and to thrash out a progamme for the 2011 season.
All Mini owners interested in Solent racing next year are welcome to attend - for details, please contact SORC via 'admin @ offshoresolo dot com', or myself 'andy @ slyfrog dot com'.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:43:41 AM by andyoll »

Offline andyoll

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 23:03:32 PM »
Plans for Solent Mini meet-up - here is the post from Petit Bateau mailing list:

################
To: "petit_bateau@yahoogroups.com" <petit_bateau@yahoogroups.com>, Atlantic_Adventure@yahoogroups.com
The first Mini Group meeting is confirmed, at Royal Southern YC, Hamble
 at 12.00 on Sunday 7th November. The carvery lunch will be on if you like.

The objective is to meet to discuss Mini races in the Solent for 2011 as part of the SORC programme and to explore other opportunities to encourage mini racing.

All Mini sailors are invited to attend, past present and future. please make contact via sorc or by phone.

so far we are;
Glyn Deakin - pogo2 449
Andy Olliver - pogo1 - 171
Ken Dochertey - OC 425
Jake Jefferis - 794
Kevin Rolfe - Fido 29

Peter Olden sorc
Jerry Freeman sorc

parking is the public car park on the water front, probably pay and display,
club car park is members only.
##############

If you are interested in coming along please get in touch with myself (07887 520682) or jerry (07771 67 67 88), so we know numbers.

I'll post after the event to keep all in the loop.

bests

Andy

Offline andyoll

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
A bit of publicity in the daily sail:
http://www.thedailysail.com/offshore/10/57117/0/uk-mini-developments-in-2011

It was great to meet a bunch of UK Mini sailors at the Solent meeting last week-end. We established that there are 2 racing series in the Solent area ideally suited to Minis next year - the SORC single handed racing series which will be hosting a Mini class for each event, and the RSYC double-handed racing series. We've also got the UK Mini Fastnet happening again next year. We're hoping that a few of us will get together occasionally for non-racing fun on the water to compare and improve techniques before the racing season kicks off. Also looks like a good few UK Mini sailors have plans towards Official Class Mini events in France next year.

Offline Gdayguvnor

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »
Hi,

Just wondering, how many skippers try to do Cowes Week? You could probably get into black group when you apply.

Does anybody do it DH?

Gdayguvnor,

Offline SailingFaster

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 11:10:32 AM »
Unfortunately the IRC handicap makes  round the cans racing pretty depressing unless it is  light wind.

Has anyone tried racing in the sports boat class? Might be better for cows

Offline Gdayguvnor

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
I raced in the SB3 Class last year which was run very well, I think there might be a white group handicap start in which the mini's should do fairly well against the other sports boats without their own class start. Or, If you can get enough, a Mini Class Start?

Offline andyoll

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 00:34:50 AM »
3 Mini's now registered for the first SORC race of the season - Nab Tower race on March 26. This is the minimum number agreed with race organisers to run a Mini class (unofficial) with it's own start sequence. Really hoping this will be a regular thing for the SORC races (race calendar: http://www.offshoresolo.com/calendar).

Perhaps we can invite some continental visitors for the next one -  'Round Isle of White Solo' race on 16 April.

regards

Andy

Offline StarryEyes

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 20:23:06 PM »
Hi Guys,

I know its a long shot but we all know that only triers can be getters!

I am really keen to learn about solo sailing and the class mini in particular. I think I have read everything there was to read and due to a small (non-existing?!?) student budget there's little more I can do. What I do have is loads of spare time which I would be more than happy to dispose of helping you guys with any donkey/handy work that needs doing in your boats. I have the ambition of having my own mini and would love the opportunity to get some experience on the maintenance side of things. I am familiar with boat maintenance and help maintaining the boat I race on the JOG and RORC races. I do not expect any sailing in return. I am available throughout the summer at all times except for the Fastnet week in August.

I'm easy going and hard working. Ohh... and I don't ask too many questions!

Good winds
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 21:03:27 PM by StarryEyes »