Author Topic: AIS required for 2011 - error in English version of Rules  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
Re: AIS required for 2011 - error in English version of Rules
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 17:54:06 PM »
Andy,

I think Bruce has a valid question, why buy a transponder that's going to be turned off all the time..... It makes perfect sense to have a receiver so you can see the commercial traffic as they are required to turn it on.

I was looking at the AIS RC at ciel-et-marine.com. It was a receive only with only warnings of quadants of alarm like their Radar Detector. The AIS CA hooks up a transponder and gives similar warning with no explicit information on who the threat is.

I like the concept, but don't like the don't turn your emmissions on......
Sam
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com

Offline phoenix

Re: AIS required for 2011 - error in English version of Rules
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 18:14:27 PM »
I guess it's a valid question, but it's not really one for the Classe Mini. They aren't requiring anyone to disable transmission, they are just pointing out that such a feature exists on a number of transponders on the market and that using the feature will not be against the rules (and I don't think CM convinced all the manufacturers they must include the "silent-mode").

Given that this silent-mode is something of a standard feature, I guess there are a number of reasons why people would want it aside from hiding your position from the Mini fleet (since minis are not the principal market for AIS manufacturers). For example, one reason would be to save on battery power. AIS transponders are just like talking non-stop on your VHF... big time power usage.

And remember, the reason Minis (and all other offshore race boats) have to have transponders, isn't because Classe Mini wants them, its because ISAF/FFVoile requires them.