Author Topic: Wanted Rudder Cassettes  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
Wanted Rudder Cassettes
« on: April 03, 2007, 07:29:49 AM »
I am building a Dudley Dix Didi Mini and would like to use rudder cassettes instead of bolting the rudders directly to the gundgeon or pintles, I forget which....

Is there anyone out there building cassettes for sale? Contact me off forum if you do with design pictures, pricing and availability information.

I was thinking of building a 'box' with an open back so the rudders could kick back out and up if they hit something. What is used for the 'fuse' to keep the rudder down except when hit?

Thanks
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com

Offline Zimonem

Re: Wanted Rudder Cassettes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »
3mm nylon line proved to be the best; it would keep the blade in place, and break before damaging rudder.

Offline TomH

• CruisingSailor.org
Re: Wanted Rudder Cassettes
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 16:03:28 PM »
Hi Sam,
Been following your progress, good on ya.

The probs I found with fuses...
(1) not all line has same break strength - might be stronger than hoped
(2) weathering reduces the breakpoint - early releases
(3) often have to replace fuse - especially if it's going to be able save the rudder

Number three is the problem for singlehanders, as a well placed fuse is often over the transom :( and in bad conditions

I'm trying a new solution - auto-release cleats that are now available on the market again after a long absence. http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/cleats/sd002570/index.htm
This link is for info - it shows well how the cleats are designed and installed -- but if I remember, the price I paid was much, much less.

I have two for installation this year --they seem well made _and_ easily adjustable!

Hope that helps,
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 16:24:18 PM by TomH »