Author Topic: insurance help  (Read 2969 times)

Offline giles

insurance help
« on: January 11, 2011, 20:12:21 PM »
Hi there
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that would insure a mini based in the UK?  I have searched the forum and contacted Fastnet and Assurances AMTM, both have declined.  Another UK mini sailor has recommended Northern Reef and I am waiting to hear back from them.

I am not looking for full transat cover, Class B and C racing would be fine for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Giles

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
Re: insurance help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 19:23:22 PM »
Northern Reef is a scam, I dealed with him before when he made very cheap offers for minis on this forum. It is a scammer living in Spain, and spending your money on his lifestyle, and no big claim will get paid.
Just do a search on internet for this weasel...

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 19:48:55 PM »

Things must have changed Leo...

Northern Reef is not a scam, I have been insured with them for 2 years, Last year I broke my mast and they paid out £4000, the maximum allowed on the policy, within 2 weeks.

They are not cheap but my experience is all good.

Kevin Rolfe
Mini 29

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 21:19:21 PM »
4000 is small money talking for that guy. Wait til you loose your boat, my bet is you will get nothing...
No insurance company would take over the name, so I really doubt its changed...
He pays claims for a while, get a good name, lot of new clients, making shitloads of money, then he gets a bad name again, plays low a while. And a few yrs later he starts it up again.

But its your money... remember I talked to this guy personally, I repeat he is a fraud.
Just ask him abut his underwriters, call the names he says, and ask if he is their client....

Just look at their website, its so obvious...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 21:20:55 PM by Leov »

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 21:27:05 PM »
Hahaha, he is still a scam,

the company is based in Spain, his  yacht clauses  says;
This Insurance Policy of Indemnity is subject to English Law and Practice

So legally  its not working, untill we get a United States of Europe.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »
Leo,

I haven't gone to the website.  No idea if he is a scammer or not.  But just because he operates out of Spain and says the policy is subject to English law doesn't make him a scammer.  English law is very well developed in the insurance field, and a lot of the world's insurance is insured or reinsured out of London.
In my field of work it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a company in one country, insurer in another, dealing with a project in a third country and the insurance contract would be subject to English law.

Bruce

Offline jamesgaskin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 17:56:18 PM »
Bruce,  I have cover in UK/France for B races, everything other than the Transat.

Try: Edward William Marine [michelle@edwardwilliam.com]

My name is: James Gaskin
Boat: GBR557 Dingo 1

Approx. 140 GBP per month.

They insure a few Mini's in UK/France.

I hope that help, I am sure they are on the web.

James.

Offline giles

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 20:40:32 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.

As far as I can make out Edward William Marine are the agents with Northern Reef providing the cover.  I am saying this because the quote from Edward Marine refers to
Cover - Loss and/or damage and/or theft in accordance with Northernreef Yacht Clauses of the Hull, Machinery and everything connected therewith of the above described vessel - and - Should you require a copy of the policy wording please go to www.northernreef.net and click on services

If Edward Marine are dodgy then the bit you really need, the 3rd party cover, may not be there when you need it. 
Has anyone (apart from Kevin) successfully claimed from Edward William Marine?

What does everyone else do???  Third party only cover? Scam insurance? Or have I missed a company out?

A number of people have stated that you get third party cover with an FFV licence.  How does someone sailing out of the UK get a FFV licence? Hope this isn't a stupid question.

Giles

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 23:34:42 PM »
Last question; ffv license you can buy at any mini race, so thats handy. And cheap. For if you race in France. IF you only plan on sailing in the UK, no luck that way. THe FFV license you only get if youre doing something with a French Yachtclub (in this case you race, the club asks for FFV license for the racers)

Yes behind Edward William Marine and Northern Reef are two companies, pretending to be two seperate companies, while the guy behind it (Skinner) is the same guy.
Just look at the websites, they do not even have a telephone number on it.

He targeted mini sailors, as they can not find insurance easy. Fucking idiot.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 23:42:38 PM by Leov »

Offline Kevin

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 00:00:56 AM »

OK, we've had a lot of fun libelling Mr Skinner, Edward William and Northern Reef et al.

Can we get back to the original question?

Can anybody recommend an insurance company who will insure minis, especially outside France where we don't have the FFV option?

Kev.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 00:09:15 AM »
Kevin, in my opinion you can do not enough to unmask scammers. Pensioners have lost their whole life asset due to this guy.

Offline giles

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 09:04:34 AM »
The realities of mini sailing are starting to hit me. 

I may have found a third party only route which may be ok for now.  At least I can get the boat to the yacht club, which is one step closer to the water.

Also - I really didn't mean to cause any stress.

Thanks again

Giles

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 15:36:39 PM »
Last question; ffv license you can buy at any mini race, so thats handy. And cheap. For if you race in France. IF you only plan on sailing in the UK, no luck that way. THe FFV license you only get if youre doing something with a French Yachtclub (in this case you race, the club asks for FFV license for the racers)

So Leo, let me get this straight, if I get a FFV license it will cover me for my sailing in France?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 21:18:11 PM »
nathan - FFV license / insurance is third party only.  Doesn't cover your boat, just the damage you do to someone else's boat.  I'm sure there are other third party claims it will pay but I don't know what they are. 

Offline kro439

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 14:40:01 PM »
Hello Guys

It's a little revolution in the mini world : the Classe Mini has just announced that a insurance contract for Mini 6.50 has been negociated with a french broker.
You just need to be Classe Mini member to get the contract !
the insurance will cover you and your boat for double or solo races, and also for the Transat.
Please ask the Classe Mini for details, or watch on the web site.
it's in french right now but translation is coming soon...

Kro