Author Topic: Mini training in the UK  (Read 2291 times)

Offline zippernipper

• www.lukedampier.com
Mini training in the UK
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »
Hey everyone,

Im a very keen sailor who at the age of 21 has built up over 40,000nm, raced on various boats from Open 60's to J/80's. I have been dieing to get into the mini series now for a couple of years and this year i'm finally going to man up and get a boat! I've been looking at boats for few months and was thinking of going direct through Open Sailing. I would like to eventually take the plunge and run my own mini campaign leading up to the Mini Transat, though for now due to time constraints and the biggest problem most people face being money, was going to race the boat round the UK in various SORC races etc. My question is if I were to get a boat would any UK mini sailors like to get together and organise some training over various weekends! Being new I would probally race the boat two handed leading into single handed races. I'm based in Bristol and currently working fulltime (which sucks) so weekends are really only possible for me at the moment. Im involved in the Warsash Spring series so if people are around or racing we could meet up and discuss a few things over some beers?

Luke

Offline Gdayguvnor

Re: Mini training in the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 21:49:36 PM »
Hi,

If you got my PM drop me a line as I am around for DH stuff as and when.....

Thanks
Gdayguvnor

Sponsored by
www.nautilusyachting.co.uk

Offline andyoll

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 00:44:45 AM »
Luke

See my recent post here: http://www.minitransat650.com/simple/index.php?topic=3050.msg16050#msg16050
There is a small (but growing) group of active Mini's in the Solent. The SORC and RSYC D/H races seem to be the focus for organised racing, but I think most of us get out on the water other times as well.
When will you have your boat?

Andy

Offline giles

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:38:31 AM »
Luke
Have you got a boat yet?
I have got a proto in Cardiff, if you are ever in the area give me a shout. 

If you haven't got one yet and fancy a sail then I am down there during the week and weekends.  I am currently fixing all the problems that come with recommissioning a boat that hasn't been in the water for 6 years.  Hopefully it should be sailing this weekend!

If you are looking for something cheap then have a look at the for sale section of the forum.  Mini 29 is going v. cheap. 

Giles

Offline zippernipper

• www.lukedampier.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 17:31:15 PM »
So I've just bought a MINI!!!!!!! Woooo!!! Exciting.....took some time though.

I bought GBR 449 from Glyn. Awesome guy! I have a lot to sort out first but once all the "paper work" is sorted I should be ready to get going

So this is going to be a very steep learning curve for me so I will need all the help I can get. Do any mini sailors fancy organising a weekend at some point to do some training?

If you're keen email me at luke.dampier@me.com

Offline giles

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 15:48:39 PM »
Luke

Congratulations.
Where are you going to be based?

Giles

Offline zippernipper

• www.lukedampier.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
Giles,

Crean is based in Haslar, Pip managed to organsize a deal for me through the solo group they have there.

Where are you based?

Luke

Offline giles

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 00:18:46 AM »
I am over in Cardiff.

Giles