Author Topic: What's happening?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline ORNA

What's happening?
« on: April 04, 2007, 23:00:40 PM »
What is happening with this class?

I haven't seen anything about it in the press and don't know the staus of the rules and the meeting in mid March. Is the rule established?
Who has designs out there. Are the rules going to be posted in English on the blog?
This class has great potential...I hope it is not just languishing in the unborn phase.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
Re: What's happening?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 18:06:38 PM »
Yep its quiet, i did see on the blog some boats are build... when they will race it will be attracting more people... but CHarles knows more...

Offline Charles Bertrand

• FoX Technology - Yacht Design & Engineering
    • www.fox-tech.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 18:54:16 PM »
Hi all,

The setup of a new class always takes some time, things may look a bit quiet indeed, but a lot is actually going on.
The French written sailing press is starting to talk about it.
The official bits and pieces are getting together with the recognition of the class by the authorities and the sailing federation.
And, above all, now that the rule is finalised the designs can be finalised as well. Some designers are already engaged with some yards and we can expect the boats to start being built soon.
JM Vidal should have an English version of the rule; hope he'll put it online soon.
A specific race calendar for 2009 and 2010 is also being prepared by JM, as said in earlier posts about the class.

As far as i am concerned, i got to be part of the administration committee and will try to bring as much international input and feedback to it. Discussions are also well advanced with a Swedish yard for the production of the FoX 9.50. The construction of a prototype should start fairly soon with a launch date around next winter while proper series production should kick off at the same time next winter.
An official press release will be made as soon as the definitive parameters, options and price will be fixed.

For more information (about boat and price, etc...), feel free to contact me (charles @ fox-tech . fr  -  www . fox-tech .co.uk)

Cheers,

Charles
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 18:57:22 PM by Charles Bertrand »

Offline ORNA

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 19:54:57 PM »
Thanks for that Charles...I was beginning to wonder where everyone went. Please keep us updated (as much as you have time for) Any races that look promising would be of interest too.
I am keen on this class and hope it takes off.

Offline Marra

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 13:48:19 PM »
Hi Orna,
have a look on the blog :
http://projets950.blogspot.com/,

BR
Marra

Offline patrick

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 15:57:32 PM »
Hi all,
I've heard that a class 9.50 would not be category A (allowed to cross an ocean without derogation) because of it's too low righting moment.
Could you please confirm, comment... Is it a choice from the class ?
Jean-Marie, si tu es là, quelle est la version officielle ?

thanks,
Patrick

Offline Charles Bertrand

• www.fox-tech.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »
Patrick,

Being Cat A compliant is indeed the bear minimum to take part in most of the offshore races and it has been a discussion subject since the early hours of the rule.

The class IS Cat A compliant and every boat must comply with a minimum STIX value of 32. Moreover, one of the last alterations of the rule has been to ignore the 6.3.2 of the ISO regulation on stability that allowed low AVS for unsinkable boats. It will therefore be tricky to get a boat at maximum beam and ballast while being at the minimum displacement...
I believe the English version of the rule online at classe950.blogspot.com is more up to date (for once... :-)

Pas d'inquiétudes donc, for more info feel free to contact me... (charles alt fox-tech .fr)

Cheers,
Charles

Offline patrick

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 16:58:07 PM »
Merci.
Still interested and looking for news about the class 9.50
What about existing boats, yards proposing boats ?

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 17:48:27 PM »
See the above mentioned blog, a whole list..

Offline Charles Bertrand

• www.fox-tech.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
Concerning existing boats, there is none for the moment, except the Rolland designs that already fit the rule.
As far as new boats/designs are concerned, the two most advanced projects i know are the Akilaria 9.50 designed by Lombard and built by MCTec in Tunisia (they said they wanted to have a boat ready for Paris Boat Show next December) and the FoX 9.50 which is going to be built by the Swedish yard Artic Composite AB. The yard has started the hull plug this week.
Many designers have worked out proposal designs (check out class website) so there may well be more going on but i'm just not aware of it yet.

Cheers,
Charles