Author Topic: Batteries for Pogo 2  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Glyn

Batteries for Pogo 2
« on: April 07, 2011, 21:48:38 PM »
The batteries on my Pogo 2 are the originals supplied with boat and I think are about 7 years old. They are starting to lose capacity, they charge well but are on the way out.
I'm looking for a replacement, has anyone recently purchased new batteries and can recommend any particular model and make?
I'm in the south of England.
Thanks

Glyn

Offline giles

Re: Batteries for Pogo 2
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:25 AM »
Glyn

I need some new batteries as well, what did you go for in the end?

Giles

Offline Glyn

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 21:38:15 PM »
Hi Giles,
Got two from 105Ah  advancebatterysuppliers .com
£80 each delivery included. Loads of different suppliers but saving to be made on web.

The originals were holding charge but no capacity. Lasted 7years which I thought is excellent considering environment.
Regards

Glyn

Offline giles

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 22:42:50 PM »
Hi Glyn

Were they the Lucas sealed ones?  I have been talking to a number of companies today re. batteries.  I was told that this type are not fully sealed, i.e. there is a vent, alebit oneway.  They should really be thought of as maintenance free.

I have read the english rule translation E-12-a-1
"The batteries must be waterproof.  Waterproof means that the acid does not leak immediately when the battery is laid down."

Is the translation right?  If so I am guessing that 'sealed' with a vent i.e. maintenance free is ok?

Reason I ask is that I was about to buy a set of fully sealed Elecsol glass mat batteries which, although they appear to be much nicer than the lucas, are no lighter and twice the price!

Regards

Giles

Offline pierke

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »
E-12-a-1   Les batteries doivent etre de type étanche. Par étanche on entend, dont l'acide ne fuit pas immédiatement en position couchée.

To the best of my knowledge, this translates to: The batteries shall be of the type "étanche". By "étanche" we mean that the acid shall not immediately escape when [the battery is] on its side.

The literal translation of "étanche" is watertight/waterproof/airtight.

Hope this clarifies it.

Offline giles

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
I guess the 'not immediately' means that 'sealed' batteries with a vent are acceptable. 
Would still prefer to have fully sealed ones but they are the same weight and twice the price, so it is difficult to see the benefit, except for safety and possibly longer life.

Giles

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 23:26:59 PM »
Yep Giles, vented are good.