Author Topic: Any Mini CP builders in USA/CA ?  (Read 16273 times)

Offline Jake

Re: Any Mini CP builders in USA/CA ?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 15:46:36 PM »
231 has now been refit with a "3D keel" that swings fore/aft and port/stbd. 232 has either been refit, or is being refit. Lucas also has several one-off custom designs for the builder, but they are only available in achitectural drawings. I stopped by the local rigging shop yesterday to price out the carbon spars and sprit from either CMT or Forte. Also called my prefered sailmaker about a wardrobe based on the builders specs. By the end of the month I will have my budgetary numbers together and make a decision on whether to purchase a new or used boat, or to build one. I am leaning toward the building one. Lucas has been more than accomodating in his correspondence and offers of support thru the build.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 17:06:19 PM »
231, from the beginning that 3d keel.
232, still racing, canting keel that can change AOA too.
He has a Class 40 sailing around, Uk owner.

Offline Jake

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 17:53:31 PM »
I wasn't aware that 231 had the keel from the beginning. Design specs are available from Lucas for that keel as well, although not recommended for the amatuer builder. Lot's of custom machine work involved. Do you have any info on how many of his 6.5 designs have been built and are still sailing? Lucas definitely hasn't had much attention in the NA market, and unfortunately my French (or what is left of it from high school) is very poor.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 18:54:05 PM »
Structure, good,
Speed, good (then, it keeps evolving),
Results in mini transat, best 7th, with David Raison.
If i am right, the boats were wood cored even, means that their speed was really good.

Lucas sailed the MT too, did not finish high, but he is a designer, not a top sailor.

Offline Jake

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 19:43:25 PM »
One of my thoughts is to build the plywood hull. Use the hull as a plug to build the mold. The shape would lend itself well to a split mold.Then complete the plywood boat as a trainer while duplicating the hull in fiberglass or carbon. Swap the rig and hardware out and you would have a light, competitive beast on a tried and proven hull form. The design does look powerful. I would have to pay the designer for the rights to build the second hull though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 19:45:27 PM by Jake »

Offline Jake

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 20:22:25 PM »
After a little more research...
#277 was a Lucas boat too. Sounds like it was damaged in 2004. Like I said, my French sucks, but it looks like the skipper abandoned the Select 6.50 in 2004 according to the archives. 231 and 232 are both still competing. No current record of 277.

Here is a stupid newbie question. So I build a hull. I know how to get it regestered and such with the state I'm in so I can sail it in the states legally, but how do you get a Classe certificate and a US# for a home built boat?

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 22:37:37 PM »
Jake,

To get a Hull Number you need to email Classe Mini and request one after the hull is started.

I have reserved "710". It will be assigned to me when the rest of the numbers are assigned up to that number.

I requested "710" so that if I ever ended up upside down or in trouble, we would only have to tell the US Oil Wild Catter's that there was "OIL" to be found offshore and they would not give up until I was found.

Sam
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com

Offline Jake

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 20:14:28 PM »
Does the boat need to be officially measured and inspected to make sure it complies with the rule, or do they take your word for it based a known design?
Also found out that Chantier CXV in Saint-Nazaire is building the CP, along with several other Fr. Lucas designs. They are available from the boatyard in various states of finish. No photos of the build on their website though. I've been hunting every where for more under-construction photos of it.
The more I think about it, the more it sounds like the thing to do, building a boat. It's kind of like finaincing one, paying as you go while you build it.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 21:05:10 PM »
NO measurements involved,
just an email with;
your name, address, contact stuff,
designer of boat, name of boat, nationality of flag,

Weirdly, they do not charge you, and you are not required to be a mini member.
I think the will charge sooner or later for the handling of it.

If you build your own boat, you know it, will be a good feeling...
Lucas promised me to send new photos, got nothing, so he must not have new ones :)

Offline Jake

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 21:11:17 PM »
Got the quotes for spars from Forte thru my rigging contractor. At contractor discount none the less. Considerably less than I expected. Also got a budgetary sail quote from my prefered loft. If you ignore the labor (hey, you don't do it if you don't love it) the whole project is rather affordable. I really like the hull design and the stuff I've read about 231 and 232. It looks like there may be a Mini CP build starting in the US in August.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 21:32:54 PM »
best hull shape photo of 232 i have, remember its 1999 :)

Offline Jake

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 21:37:09 PM »
The CP isn't the same boat as 231 and 232, no? Very similar though. Both chined, wide entry, really flat bottom at the transom. I may be wrong, but I got the impression the CP was a much newer hull design, like 2006 or something. No record of one racing that i could find.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 21:49:05 PM »
Its a refinement of those. Foils and rigging have been changing, the carbon rig will save you pounds in the keel, overall boat much lighter, so hull plan had to be changed. et etc.
Lucas was then a decade ahead :)
Lombard (2001 Open60 and mini 06) and Finot (06 open 60) and Manuard (mini 06) and etc have now chined minis too.
Rest will follow...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 23:32:39 PM by Leov »

Offline r.finn

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 22:51:36 PM »
Leo, where is the chined Finot mini?  I've only seen the Ecover generation and notice they ignored the fashion there, which I rather respect.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 23:33:27 PM »
oops sorry, confusing, will edit above...
Another designer in mini land bucking the trend, Bertrand

ps, nice article from you on SA...
In a few months, can i use it for my site ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 23:36:11 PM by Leov »