Author Topic: Spinnaker Pole  (Read 2963 times)

Offline zippernipper

• www.lukedampier.com
Spinnaker Pole
« on: July 05, 2011, 18:16:46 PM »
Hey,

Need help with a few things:

As my pogo 2 came with carbon pole, I will need to replace it for a alluminium one to conform with the Classe Mini Rules. Anyone know of the best place to get one? Generally how much are they?

Is anyone particulary geared up with NKE gear on how to set it up and is it best to buy direct?

Thanks

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
Re: Spinnaker Pole
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 18:23:11 PM »
Pole is a standard extrusion, from memory 2,8 mm thickness, 80 mm diameter. Go online and look for metal suppliers. I bought them from a company that did flagpoles etc. Buy a spare too..

NKE, best is to do it yourself, its not that hard, and you need it know every detail of it anyway..
thats part of being a mini sailor :)

Offline zippernipper

• www.lukedampier.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 21:16:57 PM »
I was planning on fitting the NKE stuff myself anyway, just wondered if anyone could guide me, though if its straight foward enough i'm sure i can work it out!

I'll look into getting one made

Thank you!

Offline Ubik no more 245

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »
There was a rule change for the pole on the pogo 2:
http://www.classemini.com/?titre=&mode=actualites-une&id=3386&fiche=3386

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »
Pogo 2 poles aren't just an extrusion.  There is a stiffening section inside, as well.

Structures sell them, not too expensive IMO.

Structures also sell all the parts for the ends, or buy a complete pole.

Offline chrisl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 20:02:58 PM »
The pole is around 280€ if I remember correctly - had to get a new one last year.

If I was you I'd just order it from structures - 280€ is a lot of money but imho not worth the hassle of buying a tube, drilling the holes and fitting the front to attach the block for the tackline, etc.

Also make sure to get the "V" fork at the front to control the bowsprit - and get at least two of those. They are the first thing to break.

Offline Cigogne

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 14:42:56 PM »
For information I think the normal diameter use to be 57 which is not something easy to find.

I bought 2 tube directly from the producer Zspar in La Rochelle for 80 euro.
No big deal to drill some holes on it...

Fabien 445

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 00:47:22 AM »
your correct, its smaller then 57.

Should have thought about Z-spars myself, damned... all Pogo masts came from there.
its in this pdf, http://www.z-spars.com/download/tube-tangon.pdf

Bruce, what do you mean with stiffener inside, do you mean the plugs on the ends ?
I have seen a few broken poles, no internal stiffener from aluminium to see... but maybe they changed stuff, but i tink they are just hollow tubes, with on the ends plugs made of a kind of foam...

Offline Cigogne

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
I think from transat 09 they already allowed to insert a square profile inside the pole to make it stronger.
Modification that some have maid.

My trick : make your paddle from a tube (glass fiber windsurf mast) that you can use to repair your pole. (a diameter that just fit inside the pole.
 tested and approuved.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 14:37:29 PM »
Great trick Cigogne, thanks for sharing.

Yep, Bruce send me a photo of it, since 09 they just insert a square piping into the tube, front and begin of tube. Estimated length  max 20 cm. Just shows I am out of information since I left building series... so anything past 07 I am mostly unaware of LOL.

I worked on  the Zero pole (80 mm) , and I inserted a piece of nylon in there, always had the nagging feeling that it was a bit overdone, but if even Structures offers something similair I was not that stupid.

And Ubik, that link does not work for me... strange..

And Zipper, installation of NKE is not that hard, and you have this forum as backup.
Just rig it quickly, test, install again with the upmost care to corrosion for connections and avoid loose hanging wires. Every hour spend on this will repay later 10 fold.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 14:45:41 PM by Leov »

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 15:32:00 PM »
And here is the link to the PDF with clear pictures...

http://www.minitransat650.com/forumextra/BOUT%20DEHORS%20Pogo650%20Pieces%20detachees.pdf

I presume its a pressfit to get the square into the round tube. Bruce I am right they stuff the square inside the pole ?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 15:44:14 PM »
Leo,

All I have is the photos you posted.  I had assumed that the box-section runs the entire length of the pole, and they just push it in.

I'm not sure it needs to be a super tight fit.  As soon as the outer part of the pole starts to bend, even a little bit, the stiffener will start to have an effect.  Even if there is a bit of play between the two.

Looks heavy, though.

Offline andyoll

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 01:35:04 AM »
Luke

I wonder if you got a pole yet?  I got  a replacement pole earlier this year from Eurospars in Plymouth.
I was a bit gutted that the new design (larger diameter) pole was announced shortly after - I just missed it.
Definitely go lager diam if possible - there is a good reason Structures first introduced the square section insert, and then greater diameter tube..
 - too easy to break a pole, and always at a bad moment !!
I'm moored on Pontoon E at Haslar - the red Pogo 1 - I have done some learning about NKE gear, but not enough !! Certainly happy to share what I know.
I'll be getting out on the water again in Sept - perhaps we should make a plan ?

regards

Andy
Pogo1 - 171