Author Topic: Tracksheet for TransAt 2011  (Read 3353 times)

Offline One42wooster

Tracksheet for TransAt 2011
« on: September 22, 2011, 20:21:49 PM »
Hi All

Prepared a spreadsheet listing all the Series Minis participating in the 2011 Transat, including skipper, boat # and designer / builder. My plan is to keep track of all the Minis trhough the race website at least once a day and put their coordinates into the sheet, which then calculates distance sailed between last measure and average speed between the two points. I figure that as long as the skippers sail the same direction this tells us which boat's fastest on a certain course. That's an important assumption, I do realize. If someone knows how to obtain all data from the yellowbricks post-racing, let me know -- would be fantastic to run some statistics on it.

All this to try to figure out the performance of the "new" Nacira and Dingo 2's vs the "old" Pogo 2.

Use it as you see fit, ideas very welcome!

Cheers, Arjan

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
Re: Tracksheet for TransAt 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 20:54:17 PM »
Thanks Arjan -
I will enjoy using your spreadsheet.

It will also show, within each design where all the differences ought to be quite small, which skippers have the best average speed regardless of course sailed.
There are  24 P2's, 8 D2's, 5 TipTops, 4 Naciras, 2 Zeros, 2 Gintos,  1 Mistral, & 1 P1.

Offline One42wooster

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 16:00:03 PM »
Hi Adrian --

Thanks for your message. I have sent a mail to the Mini 2011 Transat organization with a request whether it would be possible to receive the trackerdata after the race. That way we have more datapoints to compare, and finetune the analysis. If it includes the direction of the wind and heading we could even confirm / debunk claims that design A is faster over design B on a certain course.

I hope they'll provide that info...will post on the forum if I hear anything.

If other folks have contacts that can be leveraged to get such data....I will of course share all findings..

Arjan

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 22:58:58 PM »
Keep in mind that the position reports are not always the same time for the fleet.

Offline One42wooster

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 23:24:36 PM »
Hi --

Now that the first leg is almost done for the Series, here's the updated file. I used the position reports from the Charente Maritime website mostly once a day, bit more often at the end. I won't be doing it for the second leg as without accurate wind data it is pretty useless exercise (but good for developing excel skills).

In the attached you find the positions of each boat per "tracking period". The haversine formula then calculates distance sailed, and avg. speed is determined by dividing the distance sailed by the amount of time in between the two measurements (duh). This happens in the subsequent sheet.

I also added some statistics -- so you can figure out the upper quartile of distance sailed for each tracking period, and see what % of the particular boat class made it into that top slice. Same for lower quartile. It looks like the classes other than Pogo 2 are just to dependent on sailor skills to come to any meaningful conclusions. However, there's also a sizeable % of P2's in the lower quartile, suggesting that the lesser rock stars / unluckily ones also may be found on a P2.

If anybody has an idea how to make this more meaningful (I don't believe it particularly is so at this point) let me know.

Use as you see fit.

Cheers, Arjan