Author Topic: Raymarine SPX-5 - is it good enough?  (Read 3620 times)

Offline giles

Raymarine SPX-5 - is it good enough?
« on: September 25, 2011, 23:53:54 PM »
Hi there

I have just received a price for repairing my NKE system (its over ten years old).  On the plus side the gyropilot is ok, on the downside the compass, depth transducer and a few other bits are broken.  In total I am looking at about 1000 euros, however I need to get as wind instrument as well.  So it is going to be more like 1500 euros to get it to work.

I have been looking at the Raymarine SPX-5.  For the cost of the NKE repairs I could get a completely new Raymarine setup.  I know one person who has used the autopilot on a mini (although not particularly seriously). Is the Raymarine good enough for a mini?  I plan to use it on GBR241, 1999 proto, for Cat C and B races.

Does anyone have any experience of the Raymarine? Does anyone know of boats using it in the Transat this year?

By the way - I don't have any problems with using NKE, the reputation is great and the service from Joel is amazing, the only problem is that I still need new sails, the NKE kit isn't cheap and I am not sure if my bits are at end of life.

Cheers

Giles

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
Re: Raymarine SPX-5 - is it good enough?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 19:16:09 PM »
Yep, Joel is a good guy.

You can use Ray, but for long solo races I would prefer the NKE computer power with the ST 6000 Ray ram.
But a budget crises is a crisis and if you have only money for the Ray SPX 5 and windvane, your money should go there.

If your NKE computer is fine, you maybe can find out of you can switch the Ray computer for the NKe, who knows ???
The compass and depth transducer of both can be the same stuff. But remember i am out of hte loop for 4 yrs :)

Remmeber you need a rudder angle sensor by the Ray too,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 19:20:33 PM by Leov »

Offline giles

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 20:28:56 PM »
Thanks

What about issues using an old gyropilot (i.e. not the gyropilot2)?  Is the gyropilot2 significantly better?  Am I being a bit foolish to think that a 11 year old NKE computer is going to keep working for very long?

Giles

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 22:06:38 PM »
Ah, thats a question for Joel.

Offline KeithW

• My minitransat campaign
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 22:12:14 PM »
I used SPX-5 in the 09 transat with st4000 rams and there was never a time when my raymarine couldn't cope and boats around me could with NKE.

1 RAM lasted me my 1000mile qualifier, the select, mini pavois and the transat but that is exeptional most people with st4000 will get through at least a couple of motors on the transat, the only thing I would say about mine is I had it serviced before it was ever used and after every major trip, the services are worth there weight in gold because the 4000 rams aren't very well sealed and do suffer badly from water ingress and heat.

If I was doing it again, if you are going to do the race on low budget and not train very much then raymarine every time, the autolearn function means it will work well from day 1, if you are going to do lots of training then NKE, NKE if you don't know all the settings for your boat and the conditions then raymarine will beat it every time, if you know the settings then NKE is good.

Keith

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 23:31:46 PM »
Keith, proto or serie ? :)
And for me its not to cope or not, but rection time (so being fast) and then NKE is better IMHO.
Sailed with both, installed both, serviced both. DId a transatlantic solo on a 30ft race boat solo with Ray, and long deliveries on minis with both.

Oh and did mean St4000 rams.
I know more mini  sailors say Ray  is enough, and saves energy en weight. And your design will not be a winner, your budget is still small, go Ray, buy two arms, and repair them self. I once put in an electric fan engine in it after the original engine died.... and replaced a plastic gear in it. Its a very simple machine.

Its in any case a good starting point.

Offline giles

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 00:53:16 AM »
Keith and Leo

Thanks again

I have the lecomble and Schmidt pump and ram which I serviced earlier this year and works fine. Is it possible/sensible to try and run the ram with the ray computer?

Re. Setting up nke how difficult is it?

Giles

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 18:52:20 PM »
You can use a Ray arm with NKE computer, so why not the other way around :) But not many people will have tried this.

Setting up NKE, the menu screen is a bit hard to get a feel with, for the rest, you can make it easy, or dig deeper and try out a lot. I knew a 2 boat team, who tried that, and tested settings against eachother: conclusion, you can save a lot of power by understanding the NKE options.

Tip for Joel, quick menu button with 3 preloaded settings :)