Author Topic: Jean Pierre Villenave 650  (Read 754 times)

Offline Wckoek

Jean Pierre Villenave 650
« on: June 07, 2016, 07:09:56 AM »
Hi, I've tried to seek input from other forums without much luck, so I figure if I can get suggestion from people who have much experience with mini transat here.
I recently stumble across a well equipped JP Villenave designed mini 650 for sale at a good price, I have some sailing experience previously but wondered if this can be a good first sailboat to gain more experience or to learn more on?
There are people suggests that minis are fragile, and pretty wet to sail on, but I figure that I will sail singlehanded mostly and there are probably very little choice outside of Beneteau Figaro which are set up for single handed.
Are mini transats good sailboats if I don't intend to race it?

Regards.

Offline Thomas

• Administrator
  • Sail your dream
    • About Me
Re: Jean Pierre Villenave 650
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
Hi there, and welcome.

As a general answer: Yes, Minitransats are good boats to sail even if you don't intend to race. If you want to cruise them you might find them slightly uncomfortable, and yes, maybe a bit wet, but in general an old prototype as the JP Villenave boats might be a nice start.

Villenave designed two Minis:

#229 http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire%20des%20Minis/229.htm
#312 http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire%20des%20Minis/312.htm

Without having seen it I can not comment on how the boat kept up, but otherwise it might be interesting if you can get it at a good price.

Regards,
Thomas
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 16:23:49 PM by Thomas »
Rebuilding The Unofficial Minitransat Website.

Offline playtos_sandl

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 15:42:42 PM »
The mini is a great boat.  Mine is a Lombard Zero (#675).  It's never been seriously raced, and I doubt I will ever race it in a major race.  However, I daysail and do cruises.  My wife and I went on a 10 day cruise on the boat, and I have done many overnight trips.  The boat is fast, forgiving and safe.  I bought mine because of the safety requirements for the class.  Plus it is just a cool boat.  Keep in mind, that overnighting on a mini is more like camping in a tent than a trailer.  But it can be very comfortable.

Offline Herver

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 21:02:40 PM »
Hi
Yes mini can be used without racing. I use mine (245) for singlehand day 'races' with other friends on minis, and for spending my vacation in daily trips. If you give me your email, I can send you pictures how it is arrange inside. It is definitely much more funny than a 'standard' boat ...

Offline Thomas

• Administrator
  • Sail your dream
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 23:34:28 PM »
HervĂ©, do you have a glass holder onboard as well? I hear stories of a "very cruising" Pogo1 somewhere in the Baltic Sea  ;)

PS: Email by private message, please, so I don't have to work magic in order to not make them readable by bots  8)
Rebuilding The Unofficial Minitransat Website.