Author Topic: an alternative mini transat  (Read 2593 times)

Offline philip5

an alternative mini transat
« on: July 07, 2007, 23:38:04 PM »
The St. Kitts & Nevis Boating Club is exploring the possibilty of hosting a race from a West Country port in England to St. Kitts.
Course would be non stop with Madeira and a way point SW of the Cape Verdes as marks of the course to keep the fleet behind and below any late season hurricanes. First time fleet would be limited to say 20 series and 20 protos. Safety standards would be the same as for the big race, qualification would be equally stringent. Iridium or similar might be allowed.
October 2008, what do you think?
Philip Walwyn SK&NBC.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
Re: an alternative mini transat
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 23:59:51 PM »
Will not be CM race if Iridium allowed.
non CM races attracts at the most 5 boats in the past, there have been a few.
Thats a risk.

Other suggestions,
why not receiving the MT ? the real thing :)
why not start working with the Americans for a race. then you will have some novelty too :)
and at the most 15 boats in the race first time.

Good luck scouting your ideas...

non stop will be interesting. as the problem is October weather in the Biscay, and leaving early needs at least a month stop somewhere south to avoid hurricanes.

Offline Nick A

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »
I think it is a good idea as the minitransat is always over subscribed and it gives a chance for other mini sailors that have the mileage and the qualifications to do something else in stead if they cant get onto the transat.....why not have another transat but a different route..

Offline Mr Hollywood

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 17:53:09 PM »
Well, part of the appeal of the Transat is that it is something of an exclusive event, even if some of the qualification requirements can get fuzzy, particularly down at the end of the list.  Most of the people campaigning for the Transat want to do THE Transat, not an alternative to the Transat.

And frankly I don't know why CM would want do to anything to detract from the main event, and potentially dilute the value to sponsors.  It would be like having an alternative Americas Cup for everyone who lost in the Louis Vuitton Cup.

Actually, I think the 3 Continents Race (?) that Leo mentions somewhere else in the Forum, sounds like a pretty challenging event.  And being in the Med it would offer a lot of value to potential sponsors - lots of relevant exposure in the right markets.

Offline Sam Mini-Sailor.US

• eko650.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 18:07:26 PM »
So with that thought, should we think about scheduling a multi country event in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean? Lots of cool places to go there as well. Not continents, but lot's of countries?
Sam Ausmus III

Check out my new business www.thirdcoastcomposites.com

Check out my website www.mini-sailor.us

If interested in shorthanded sailing www.sos-tex.info

If interested in Mini Transat boats www.miniclassus.com

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 18:29:26 PM »
Hi Sam,

Great effort in the B 1-2.  You hold the SH and the combined records for the Series B 1-2.  Now I have something to aim for. Congratulations.

But back to the topic - since Cuba is out of the question for the US boats - my preference would be a DH race with the British Virgin Islands - Virgin Gorda YC as the finish (although the approaches would be a challenge) and Newport to Bermuda being a short Leg 1,  Bermuda to Puerto Rico Leg 2.  This said with no knowledge of the winds one might expect.  Just places I have been with the support we would need.

Adrian

Offline Mr Hollywood

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 01:10:54 AM »
Adrian - Cuba is okay for U.S. boats as long as you don't spend any money while you're there.  And you can't bring cigars back with you.

And I'll stop right there before launching into an anti-American government rant.

Offline Adrian

• www.northamericanminitransat.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:39:36 AM »
Six or seven months ago some US boats were threatened with seizure, or actually seized, for venturing into Cuban waters.  Maybe Sam has the details.

Hopefull we would steer clear of Haiti on any route S.    Trinindad & Tobago would be another possible finish, nice big marina near Port au Spain with all the services BUT that is adding a lot of miles.  Jesse has sailed those waters, maybe he has some thoughts on the Islands & a possible destination.

Adrian

Offline Mr Hollywood

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 01:51:41 AM »
For big boat offshore stuff, Haiti is a great place to stop if you need weight on the rail - 200 or 300 people, for example.