Author Topic: Class 9,50 budgets  (Read 6518 times)

Offline matjaz

Class 9,50 budgets
« on: September 21, 2007, 19:57:09 PM »
So any info on budgets prices for various class 9,50 boats ,General perception seems that it should be 100k Eur for a boat without sails,electronics.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
Re: Class 9,50 budgets
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 20:49:27 PM »
ASk the two yards i know that starting to build them,
Akilaria and Fox-Tech.
100.000 still is a lot for bare boat....

Offline matjaz

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 23:04:13 PM »
I would think 100.000Eur bare boat is realistic custom boats which are built one off,for serial production it should be cheaper.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
    • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »
So with a decent amount of sails and electronics and safety equipment youre talking about 165.00.
NOt ot bad compared to C40.

Offline Charles Bertrand

• FoX Technology - Yacht Design & Engineering
    • www.fox-tech.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 20:32:27 PM »
All right, let's talk about numbers... :)

Our target for the FoX 9.50 (full foam sandwich), which seems very likely to be our official price, is 80.000 + VAT for base boat with engine, Harken hardware and aluminium rig. Taking French VAT, that brings us to 96.000 euros with aluminium rig, and around 110 000 max. including taxes with carbon rig. I may be wrong but according to my estimates, sails might be around 20k and electronics around 12k.

I read in French magazines that the Akilaria (foam and balsa sandwich) is at 131 560 euros including taxes and carbon rig i suppose. This info might need double checking though.

The Mistral 9.50 (plywood-epoxy), designed by Lucas design and built by ACM marine is advertised at 98 000 with aluminium rig.

These are the only three boats i know with the numbers made public.
Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Charles

Offline matjaz

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:40:55 AM »
As you have more insight in to the class 9,50 ,designs what is the reasoning behind the carbon masts in a class where stability is limited by the rules and can easily be achieved with alu mast

It is a bit wierd that the classe rules are made to keep the cost low and then have carbon masts .To make it more expensive

Matjaz

Offline Charles Bertrand

• www.fox-tech.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:50:45 AM »
I'm afraid I don't really have an answer.

Carbon masts seem to be always a big topic.

Early in the creation of the rule i (and i guess i wasn't the only one) highlighted the fact that, on 30 footers, the gains in performance brought by carbon rigs were maybe not worth their expensive price considering the cost saving 'soul' of the rule. (Whereas only polyester is allowed as material for the sails)
The answer i got was just: 'no, carbon masts will be allowed'.
Same answer as when tried to bring in the limited but very effective use of carbon fibre in the rudder stocks and chain plates...

I'm sure somebody can give a better explanation. Maybe this comes from the experience of the Figaro2s which have standard carbon masts, or from the aim to settle the class between a series and a proto class...?

The FoX9.50 is available with either alu or carbon.
Akilaria is advertised with a carbon mast in its racing version.
Mistral 9.50 is advertised with alu mast in its base version
From now we will have to wait and see how the fleets develop...

Charles

Offline matjaz

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 16:33:50 PM »
Yes in rudders and chainplates the carbon is the best material and not expensive for the job used,otherwise you ned a lot of fiberglass and/or stainless steel.

Now on the masts it just depends how expensive you want to go ,cheap proper masts tubes would be from Compotech or CST ,where the prices are quite competitive as the tubes are actualy made on the machine,but are normaly limited to 8-10m section which would mean a 2 part mast.Which wouldnt bother because of limited weight importance.

which producer you chose for the Fox 9,5 and what is the cost comparison betwen the alu and carbon mast ,do you also use different rigs for the carbon or alu 2 or 3 spreaders etc.

Matjaz

Offline Charles Bertrand

• www.fox-tech.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 18:22:08 PM »
We are currently in the process of selecting our rig suppliers. We are therefore not yet able to make a proper comparison.
CST is one of the options for the carbon one.
Carbon rig will be two spreaders for sure. For aluminium, i don't quite know for now but probably two spreaders as well.

Charles

Offline matjaz

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 18:56:14 PM »
If you are interested in CST look at the Compotech mast tubes which are made in europe at a similar price but in superior technology

Matjaz

Offline matjaz

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 19:12:21 PM »
about the electronis , what opitions are there for now