Author Topic: Antifouling Fluro Orange  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Glyn

Antifouling Fluro Orange
« on: October 22, 2007, 20:51:27 PM »
Hello Guys,
I've just taken my Pogo 2 out of the water here in the UK after a great sailing season and found that the International VC Offshore anti-foul was sound and achieved the desired results to the mini's hull.
However,the rudder and keel application with the International product VC17m Fluro Orange produced excessive weed and general sea life attached to the fin and bulb!

Please could anyone shed any light on potential products available that will overcome this problem. The VC17m product appears to be a waste of money.
Thanks
Glyn

Offline Tingle

• My Site
Re: Antifouling Fluro Orange
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 21:17:56 PM »
Glyn,

International fluro paint certainly is not the best choice in my opinion.  We use Nautix fluro paint.  I can't comment on resisting growth since our first boat has only been in the water for a couple of weeks, but it covers nicely with a good cover.  We only did the two coats over VC Tar-2 primer (pitch black!).

Where abouts are you based?

James

Offline Glyn

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 21:59:50 PM »
James,

Thanks for the prompt reply,
Any ideas reference supply of this product (Nautix) here in the South of England. A internet search doesn't help at present.

The Pogo 2 is kept in Gosport in Dolphin marina, I've had her 15 months and its been awesome sailing this year. The best sailing I've experienced with Loads of laughs and great fun, should have got involved with the boat years ago.

Intend to do RSYC double handed stuff next year, and triangle race. I've seen loads of mini's around the Solent parked up in rivers etc, they must be owned by people who never take them for a spin??  but only ever seen 'Rattle and Humm' sailing.
You in IOW
Regards
Glyn

Offline Tingle

• My Site
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 22:13:48 PM »
Go and speak to Tony Thackray at Marineware (02380330208 - under the Itchen bridge) for that one!  No idea what it costs retail but just ask for the Nautix fluro paint, failing that ask for the one he sold me!

I am on the island yes, Cowes to be exact.  My mini is a bit worse for wear so drop me a line if you ever need a crew!  Carol is usually out and about on Rattle and Hum.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 22:58:14 PM »
Oh under Nautix Fluo you have to put normal Nautix antifouling or it wont work.
So you know now why it does not work to well:
1 or it dilutes the paint (VC)
2 or it is a color layer with minimal anti growth characteristics over normal antifouling.

Want to do it simple, mix the two primary colors to orange, if you can find them, but that is not really Fluo :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 23:00:14 PM by Leov »