Author Topic: Change sail letters from FRA to GBR??  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Quicova

Change sail letters from FRA to GBR??
« on: March 04, 2008, 20:59:09 PM »
Hi

Any one knows what I need to do legally to bring a mini from France to England after I buy it?
Change Sail letters, etc?

Also does anyone has any suggestions about insurance, the mini is a Pogo 2 and will be based in Southampton?

Thank a lot
Kiko

Offline KeithW

• My minitransat campaign
Re: Change sail letters from FRA to GBR??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 23:31:39 PM »
Hi Kiko

I also sail a Pogo 2 based in southampton.

If you email me we can share info keith@minitransat.co.uk

Keith - Pogo 2 440

Offline geoffd

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »
Hi Kiko,

Insurance - full cover - well, no-one in the UK will touch a mini. I tried a couple of times and as soon as they work out it's a) a Mini or b) a Pogo you get a variation on the same theme of "it doesn't meet our underwriters risk profile". You can try, and you may get lucky but I doubt it. If you do try, just say "it's a 21' sloop". Don't mention mini or singleanded. But - last time I tried, I said just that; they asked for a recent photo and dimensions and then "sorry, doesn't meet the risk profile". I did hear that one of the UK minis did get insurance from a UK company but I've tried and had no luck at all.

Third party is easy - your FFV License will cover you for that.

If you do want full cover, try A.M.T.M. Mader in La Rochelle (contact details on the Classe Mini website). It won't be cheap, but they offer full race cover for Classe Mini and Pogo Owners Assc. events. There's an option for towing cover and there's a Transat option if you need it. While racing, masts, sails and spars aren't covered, buy that's pretty standard. But it won't be cheap - around 1300 euros for a new boat and you have to get a survey every year to renew the policy. There is no automatic renewal, you have to fill out a new form every 12 months.

Question boils down to whether you're happy living with the risk of losing your investment in the boat in the event of total loss. If you can live with that, 3rd party is easy, cheap and hassle free. Just don't fall asleep and run your boat up on the bricks.

Cheers

Geoff
Pogo 2 "Mad Spaniel" AUS 659

Offline Quicova

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 14:39:34 PM »
Thanks Geoff

I just keep searching for the insurance, it looks like it will not be easy.

and regarding legal stuff to bring the Mini to england, like customs and that kind of stuff and changing the Sails from FRA to GBR...anyone knows what I have to do?

Offline KeithW

• My minitransat campaign
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 20:45:17 PM »
Hey Geoff / Chico we have you us and at least 1 other Pogo 2 that I know of in the solent, is this the start of a Pogo 2 class in the solent!!

Keith

Offline nicko

• Nicko Brennan :: Mini Transat 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 01:13:45 AM »
Not too sure about customs, although since it's EU it should probably be ok. I guess you should get it registered in the UK on the SSR (Small Ships Register) - https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/.

As for changing sail number, based on my experience don't ask just do it. The Classe really only control the number, not the country code.

n.

Nicko Brennan
Rafiki - AUS419
http://nickobrennan.com

Offline james

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »
Hi Kiko,

Yes you can get full insurance for your Pogo2 as I do for mine.  I have coverage for all of the Irish sea down to norther spain and biscay all the way up to Holland and the english channel.

You will have to register your boat with RORC or the RYA to get your GBR numbers.

If you want any more infor then get back to me cheers.

nick

Offline mute

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:42:34 AM »
I made a quick search on the french web sites.
First you need to sign a "bid of sail" or "abstract of sail" with the seller. I guess 4 orignial copie would be all right (one for you, one for the seller and 2 for the paper work)
Then you have to get rid of the french register and register in the UK (to be able to fly the union jack). To do that you shall ask the french customs and/or the "affaire maritimes" the right form, give them the papers needed (proof of adress, ID, bid of sail, ...) and they shall deliver you a "Certificat de radiation du pavillon Français" (French flag expulision certificate).
In the mean time or just after that you shall ask at least for temporary registration in the UK in order not to sail as a pirate.

Offline geoffd

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 13:49:20 PM »
Kiko,

As far as sail numbers go, Nicko is right - Classe Mini just control the number so you can just get the sails marked up as GBR <your number>. It is a good idea to get your Pogo on the Small Ships Register (Part III as per what Nicko said)

You don't have to contact RORC or the RYA for a GBR Sail number unless you want to race in IRC events - which is pointless as far as I can see because

1. You'll be crippled on handicapp.
2. I'm pretty sure Minis don't meet the ORC standards RORC require for their offshore races so you wouldn't be able to enter the cross channel races.
3. You could enter Sportsboat class round the cans races, but as far as Southhampton is concerned, the Sportsboat class is dead because of the size of the SB3 fleet. And frankly, the Sportsboat class runs windward/leeward courses and I think a P2 would not be the most effective boat for that sort of course. And you'd still be crucified on handicapp (I used to race a B21 in the class, similar issues as a P2).

You can still enter the RSynYCs two handed series with Classe Mini registration, they have a separate class for that.

Anyway, HTH.

Cheers
Geoff

Offline james

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 14:25:25 PM »
The mini does meet across channel races as I have done some and they do meet ORC requirement. You are right about the handicap it is insane and there is only one place to get your handicap and that is at RORC as I have got one as I do race when back home. The Pogo2 is not a sportsboat as is the case of a Melges24.  The GBR number thing is an issue.

Offline Quicova

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 17:06:48 PM »
Thanks everyone...it really helps a lot...

I have a lot of things to do now I see....

nice to see there are some Pogo 2 in the solent.... we can arrange some fun races or something..
Still have a lot to learn I'm sure.

Thanks again to everyone...

cheers
Kiko

Offline Glyn

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 06:31:46 AM »
Hi,

I've got a Pogo 2 (Crean) and sail her on the Solent, I also have her fully insured with a UK company as a listed Pogo 2 for £450.

We should all get together guys and go sailing, I've had her 2 years and it is simply awsome fun. Intend to do some of the RSYC series and PAT Bat series.

glynsailfast@hotmail.com
glyn.deakin@tiscali.co.uk
Regards
Glyn

Offline geoffd

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »
Hi Glyn,

Where'd you get your insurance from? And what does it cover you for (what areas are you insured for, does it cover single handed racing)?

I'd be really interested in reducing my insurance bill!

Cheers

Geoff

Offline USA-415

• Jay Sharkey Sailing
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 22:44:43 PM »
So is the consensus that all you have to do is notify CM when you change the country code on your sails (say from CAN to USA)?  I sent an e-mail to contact@classemini.com but I don't know if that's all I need to do as A) They haven't gotten back to me and B) I'm guessing that because my French is so deplorable (and probably incoherent) they won't know what I'm asking.

Sorry for the "ignorant Yank" belaboring of the question, but does anyone have any more thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,
~Jay
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:22:14 AM by jsharkey »

Offline FredB

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 23:54:54 PM »
Hey Jay,

Yes, just change the country code and notify CM with name of new owner.
You can also e-mail them in english or go through me if that makes you feel better.
But please don't "guess" they are not doing their job of reading the mail (even if your French is not so good), you not gone make friends with CM secretaries .......

Fred Boursier