Author Topic: East Coast Racing?  (Read 5280 times)

Offline NathanBaron

East Coast Racing?
« on: January 03, 2008, 17:31:59 PM »
Hi All,

I know that most of the NA fleet are focused on the West Coast Race, but I was wondering if there are any minis that intend to race on the east coast this summer.  I won't be able to go out west, so I'm looking for some racing on the east coast.  I'm posting here as the MiniClassUS forum has fallen mostly silent.

I see that the Bermuda Ocean Race have included minis as a demonstration class in the NOR.  Is anyone intending to do this race?

If people are interested in sailing on the great lakes, I'm sure that I can find us some events, but I'm pretty sure that it is more convienient for most people to sail on the coast.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

n

Offline CAN749

• Rakko - can749
Re: East Coast Racing?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 17:49:17 PM »
Hi Nathan

For myself I live in Quebec city...  and I will race on East side....  But my mini gonne be finish at the end of 2008   so I'm gonna race just in 2009....  but when a gonne be ready to race...  i'm gonne work hard to find some compagny to sponsor a couple of race or a championship for mini

My passion is singlehanded ocean sailing   so i will work hard to have a circuit in NA

My Old web site was www.groupe4650nord.org   I don't know if you have hear about it...  but our's goal was to develop a circuit in NA for Mini...

Anyway   If I have some help to do it....  may be we gonne have a circuit soon

regars

Sylvain Levesque
Sylvain_L@hotmail.com
Sylvain
Rakko - can749

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 14:16:59 PM »
Hello Sylvain,

Glad to hear that your boat is coming along and that you will be racing soon.

I would be happy to help out with a NA circuit in any way I can.  The timing is a bit awkward for me, as i hope to be in Europe for the summer of 2009.  Happy to help if there are others interested in racing.  I know that Sam is looking for help with the NA Class...  I'll nominate you if you like ;)  It would be good to have at least one canuck on the board.

I knew that there was an active group of minis in Quebec, but interest seems to come and go.  I'm getting tonnes of emails from folks in Ontario expressing interest in the mini, so hopefully we will have some more boats in Canada soon.

Hope you aren't too buried in snow!  We've had over 30cm in the past week and I'm sure that you will have had more than that in Quebec.

Cheers,

n

Offline CAN749

• Rakko - can749
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 15:17:25 PM »
Nathan

I will be proud to help on a North American Mini Class...  If they need any help don't hesitate to communicate with me... 

the snow!!!  loll   we have receve the total amount of snow for all winter just in december here in Quebec city.... Since the first snow I shoveling every week end...   I cannot work on the mini during this time....  :)   At this time  on jan 6 we have, on ground, 80 cm of snow www.meteomedia.com/snow/snowQC1

No snow  --   http://clubgoeland.free.fr/images/wAtelier___4.jpg
first snow -- http://clubgoeland.free.fr/images/w_premiere_neige____0.JPG
24 dec 2007 -- http://clubgoeland.free.fr/images/wAtelier___8.jpg

Sylvain
Sylvain_L@hotmail.com

Sylvain
Rakko - can749

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 17:03:43 PM »
Wow!  that is a lot of snow!

Will be in touch soon.

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 17:40:48 PM »
Hello N. and S. I'm planning to do the Solo160 and several other solo/double races from here in Newport. The Solo160 is the qualifier for Bermuda 1/2 next year. I have a crew that is very keen to do anything mini and could help get your boats down here. There are several options for keeping the boat here that are very low cost. Since we don't have enough boats signed up for Annapolis, Newport makes more since. There are at least ten (10) races in the area this summer that are open to minis. Check out: sailnewport.org.

Chris, USA565

Offline NathanBaron

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 18:52:25 PM »
Are you the Chris Pitts that is registered to do the Bermuda Ocean Race?

Offline Joe Cooper

East Coast Racing for minis
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:36:33 AM »
Nathan, Sylvan and anyone else lurking out there:
The following 9 races are Mini Friendly and are held either on Long Is Sound or in Newport this summer. They are annual races and so opught to be on the calendar for 09 when every one is back east for the B 1-2, assuming you cannot do them this year?

A full calendar of available DH races is on the SSA website at www.short-handed.org, click on calendar for a PDF of what’s on. I have compiled over 20 DH and solo races in the north east.

Edlu Race Mid May Larchmont YC 35 or so mile day race on LIS.
Block Is. Race,  Storm Trysail Club: 180 miles Stamford around BI an dback Memorial Day. NOR specifically mentions Minis
Stamford YC DH weekend, dedicated two days of day races 12-20 miles at Stamford-the following weekend after the BIR. Keep your boat in Stamford...
NE Solo twin, July Newport YC 100 or so miles around Block Is Sound
Offshore 160, July same but longer about 160 miles or so. Newport YC for both
The Ida Lewis distance race, 15 AUGgust I recall a larger version again maybe 250 mies with no leg longer than about 20 miles. Navigators race indeed
The Vineyard race,  Stamford YC Labor Day weekend end of August. 240 or so Stamford to Vineyard tower and back via BI--A Great race.
The Rock 2 Rock race,A new race a few years ago, Stonington Hbr (east end of Ct at Race rock) west to Execution rock and back, about 140 or so
The Gear buster in Oct…. Long day race, 60 miles or so Greenwich, CT.  Indian Hbr YC to Stratford shoals and back. Well named,. I have done this race ofter and it is always honking. Frac kite, one reef full ballast or cant and 15 knots all the way east...

9 Good distance races, all but 1 DH….and a double weekend of DH to races 10-20 miles at SYC.
All they need is entrants.
Yacht clubs are dying for boats to participate in thier races, and Npt YC, Ida lewis, Stamford and Storm Trysail have expressely contacted me re minis.
DO NOT BE BASHFUL
Get yer asses down here and come sailing.
Cheers
Coop

Joe Cooper
Cooper@hood-sails.com
Bushranger147@gail.com
www.practicallysailing.com