Author Topic: What about the didi mini  (Read 9247 times)

Offline susho

What about the didi mini
« on: November 26, 2006, 13:56:07 PM »
hi ,
I searched the old forum for information about the didi mini, and many people have different ideas about it.
some say it is competative, but how about the weight difference between carbon and plywood?
building the boat is no problem, but I don't want to build a boat that has no chance against other boats.

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
Re: What about the didi mini
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 14:08:52 PM »
HI,

topsailors will not choose the Didi, as Carbon is lighter/stiffer. So winning with it will be very hard, even top ten. After that all is up for grabs. I think it is a nice feeling to cross the ocean on an own build boat...

No Did has shown up for racing yet, but nobody expects it to be outstanding fast.

Offline Matthew Thomas

• Happy Owner
      • Running with Scissors Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »
Hi all

Will be sailing my Didi to france next year, so should have some details on performance. Think Leo is partially correct, but time on the water, a little luck and you should be able to do quite well.

Matthew
Running with Scissors #447
www.rwsracing.com
Matthew L. Thomas
Running with Scissors #447
www.rwsracing.com

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:33:33 PM »
The best sailor still wins... normally...

Offline claudiof

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 09:00:15 AM »
Question to Matthew... First of all, congratulations for your superb Didi mini! I'm eager to follow your race to France this year.

Could you please comment on your choice for the Didi mini design? I'm myself a few days from buying plans and still hesitating between the Didi cruise-mini and the Super Câlin (www.super-calin.com). I know, I'll be competing in the proto category with a mini having production-like performance, but heck, I'll be there for the fun anyway!

Offline NicoG

• Administrator
      • minitransat650.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 09:43:05 AM »
Supercalin you can not buy as a serie, you will compete in proto... think you know this already.. but just to be sure...

Offline Thomas

• Administrator
  • Sail your dream
      • About Me
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 18:08:26 PM »
Supercalin you can not buy as a serie, you will compete in proto... think you know this already.. but just to be sure...
Yeah, Leo, he wrote so! :)
Rebuilding The Unofficial Minitransat Website.

Offline susho

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
thanks for your advice everyone,I gave it a better thought:
for me the first chance to enter in the mini transat is the 2011 race, so I have a long way to go.
because my budget is very tight, I can't afford carbon yet, and a plywood boat is better than no boat.
I begin the build after this summer, or even in the summer.
I'm only seventeen right now, so the boat will be a low budget high fun trainingboat, so by the time I finished school, have some money, I already have a lot of miles made, and a first boat, wich should be a good beginning for a campaign.

greetings johannes

Offline thorsten

• www.thorstenjunge.de
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 16:28:55 PM »
Ever taken a look at Francois Lucas "Mini CP"? I think it's far more a competitive and powerfull design. It looks a bit like the 231 "Groupe SCE", which was way ahead of the other designs in 1999. The 231 is extremely fast, when not having technical problems. The Mini CP has the same design features with much more simple techniques. I don't know the address, you have to google around a bit.

Offline susho

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 17:17:24 PM »
I took a look at it, and it's an interesting design, it certainly is much more modern, and the hard chines make it look like a heavy weather boat, and it should be able to sail sharper to the wind. am I correct or am I talking trash here?

Offline r.finn

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 21:47:22 PM »
We are all talking trash here :-)

Offline thorsten

• www.thorstenjunge.de
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 23:38:24 PM »
thanx finn, you're so right...
Ok, hard chine has nothing to do with performance in heavy weather. It makes the boat much wider in the waterline in the stern section making a very flat planing surface. That's what makes the boat go fast reaching. Sailing sharper to the wind? Probably not that much difference. But it gives more stability, meaning reefing later than the others, more sail area, sailing faster... more fun.

Offline andraz510

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »
Hi susho,
Just my 2cents...
If you are looking for expirience of crossing atlantic in a beutiful sport event like MT any boat that fits class mini jauge will do. However if you are there for getting the result aswell you should carefully define your goals. The evolution of the class went a long way not only from outdated outsiders like Didi (hope I'm proven wrong but not likely) but also from boats like 231/232. Not so much because of hull shape, but mostly because of materials, sail developement and mostly expirience of the skippers.
So again - for gaining expirience didi should do quite well. Focus on your training (which cost very little - just your time&effort+money for the coach), sails, boat preparation and PR. If you finish the MT and have good story you have all the chances to step to modern proto with more budget to go for top 10.  Lots's of MT winners did the same.
Good luck
Andraz 510

Offline Piers 598

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 18:34:49 PM »
Hi there,

I'm in the process of bringing my MK2 Didi mini back from Cape Town to UK. So far we've made it upto St Helena, via Walvis Bay, (2000nm down 5000 to go...!)
Next July I'll go back to St Helena and bring it up via Azores, back to UK, for September ish.

The hull was professionally built by Peter Randle (Randle Yachts) in Cape Town and finished over a few months (well 5 months, over two years, by me, me mam, and me dad). It's a fixed keel version with a regular transom. Check out on Matts rws site:  www.rwsracing.co.za for pictures.

Basically, the boat feels super solid, she goes well, there's alsways a market for entry level boats, so I beleive it's all worth it.

Hope to do the 2008 season. Just get in the races, do the miles, any result is a bonus! And go from there!

Piers
Thunder #598

Offline susho

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 15:42:06 PM »
But it gives more stability, meaning reefing later than the others, more sail area, sailing faster... more fun.
So it has better performance in heavier weather than the didi ...
the cp looks much easier to build, probably stitch'n'glue, so there is more time to sail :D
the cp has waterballast, wich increases perfomance better in high angles windward, while a canting keel is better reaching.
I'll just give it some time, my VO60 illbruck and VO70 ericsson scale models aren't finished yet either :P